Join for free
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 08:01 AM

Re: ECJ rules Headscarf bans legal

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
my mum still wears a headscarf, she started wearing it when it was the fashion back in the day of Grace Kelly etc. It doesn't look that different from a muslim head covering when she puts it on, it keeps her hair in place when it's windy. I can't see how they can apply this ruling and not run roughshod over women's rights.
It was never the fashion to wear it indoors .
Would look pretty silly in fact .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Well said Twink.
The religion doe stipulate modest dress for both sexes but it seems to be that it is women who are are most obliged to conform.
My biggest problem with their religion is that the women are not treated equally and I think I could write a book on how and why they are not! I can also see situations where these rules can cause discomfort and risk to the women's health.
Back in the 50's and 60's I can remember seeing beautiful Muslim women dressed in fashionable modern clothing, but the men and their religious leaders put a stop to that. If women were treated equally, I suspect that many would choose to be wearing those types of clothes again.
Women are individual people, not possessions of men and all should be treated that way.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 08:19 AM

Well said
As long as men blame women for their lack of control and as long as other gullible women pander to this belief that is the way it will be.
It important however that we as a country do not tolerate the intolerant of whatever faith .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 09:03 AM

Well said

It important however that we as a country do not tolerate the intolerant of whatever faith .
it's just as important that we don't tolerate the intolerant of faith...
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Back in the 50's and 60's I can remember seeing beautiful Muslim women dressed in fashionable modern clothing, but the men and their religious leaders put a stop to that. If women were treated equally, I suspect that many would choose to be wearing those types of clothes again.
Women are individual people, not possessions of men and all should be treated that way.

I've known plenty of muslim women who don't cover their hair & wear modern clothes. Others choose to do so because of custom or values. It's usually the mother rather than the husband who reinforces this. Everyone is different.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 09:12 AM

Don't get too excited by this decision. If you read the judgement carefully you will see that there are enough ifs, buts, and loopholes to keep the lawyers arguing for ages

i doubt if many employers in Britain will want to push the issue against entrenched traditions, especially as they can expect naff all support from our spineless government and judiciary
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

15-03-2017, 09:16 AM

it's just as important that we don't tolerate the intolerant of faith...

This is not about faith it's about headscarfs as Twink says you carry your faith in your heart no need to make a song and dance about it .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 09:28 AM

I've known plenty of muslim women who don't cover their hair & wear modern clothes. Others choose to do so because of custom or values. It's usually the mother rather than the husband who reinforces this. Everyone is different.
I often speak to a man in Saudi who tells me that their local mosque and the people in it enforce the dress code. He, himself, would like his wife to wear brightly coloured clothes ( and she does when abroad) but she is forced to wear black in her own country!
Surely a compulsory religion with compulsory rules, isn't a faith in their god? Faith comes from your heart and mind... not what somebody tells you to do, when fear prevents you from objecting!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

15-03-2017, 09:30 AM

I've known plenty of muslim women who don't cover their hair & wear modern clothes. Others choose to do so because of custom or values. .

What values might they be?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

15-03-2017, 09:51 AM

This is not about faith it's about headscarfs as Twink says you carry your faith in your heart no need to make a song and dance about it .
depends on the faith as to how people wish to sing and dance. A tolerant country doesn't stop you growing or cutting your hair, wearing a trilby hat or headscarf or turban, having curly sideburns or a beard.

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top