Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 06:22 PM

The Sinking £

Hi

A double edged sword.

Makes our exports more competitive in the short term, but raises input costs.

Food is starting to cost more, as is electricity.

The other thing is that it makes our Industries much cheaper to buy by Foreign Companies.

Brexit was always going to be bumpy in the short term.

I think that it is about time we started to protect our Industries from Foreign Buyers and sod EU Rules, we are leaving anyway, so what can they do?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 06:55 PM

Re: The Sinking £

It's not going to be "bumpy" in the short term, but the medium term particularly with the Union under threat. Bumpy meaning hardship, poverty and a reduction in living standards we take for granted currently. A gradual erosion of our wealth. Sterling will pick up once there is some certainty but putting imports/exports aside, it's the value of the country that is what's being reduced. It's confidence in our economy that's going downhill because people don't see sterling as a good currency to stock up on. The government needs to provide more certainty to head this off, but we haven't even fired a Brexit starting gun.

I understand your concerns re foreign buyers, but we will need international investment in order to thrive alone. Few large organisations are solely British owned, because the successful ones are floated & globally owned by mysterious shareholders and are probably paying some of the pensions here.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's not going to be "bumpy" in the short term, but the medium term particularly with the Union under threat. Bumpy meaning hardship, poverty and a reduction in living standards we take for granted currently. A gradual erosion of our wealth. Sterling will pick up once there is some certainty but putting imports/exports aside, it's the value of the country that is what's being reduced. It's confidence in our economy that's going downhill because people don't see sterling as a good currency to stock up on. The government needs to provide more certainty to head this off, but we haven't even fired a Brexit starting gun.

I understand your concerns re foreign buyers, but we will need international investment in order to thrive alone. Few large organisations are solely British owned, because the successful ones are floated & globally owned by mysterious shareholders and are probably paying some of the pensions here.
Hi

I am no financial expert, however both my kids are

One has moved abroad already, the other one is working on the tax implications of moving some major clients abroad.

As for a bumpy ride, the £ is up and down like a yoyo, but constantly heading down at the moment.

Last year, I got 6 Zloty to the £, now it is less than 5.

The high earning Polish are leaving, moving to Holland and Germany.

Peter is the latest, a great cheesemaker, moving to Holland.

A local firm is in a mess, two hydraulic engineers both leaving for Germany because of the fall in the £.

I have to disagree with you, but then I am not always right.

My two kids are financially savvy, they are no idiots.

My financial ability is simple, the cost of my Fags, and they have gone up significantly due to the exchange rate.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 07:33 PM

The Dutch vote tomorrow looks like an anti EU will win.

The French vote on the 26th of April and Le Pen made up some ground and has closed the gap.

Both are the Right Wing and Anti EU and want to leave.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 08:56 PM

Whilst petrol went down 2p a ltr today at my local Tescos service station.
Thats how I judge if things are good or bad.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->

I have to disagree with you, but then I am not always right.
(
But I think you were agreeing with me
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

14-03-2017, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Whilst petrol went down 2p a ltr today at my local Tescos service station.
Thats how I judge if things are good or bad.
Hi

That is due to falling oil demand.

We pay for oil in $ Dollars, it would have been much cheaper without the fall in the £.

Our Electricity costs have also gone up due to the fall in the £.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

14-03-2017, 09:32 PM

I thought it was all part of a price war Opec were playing with the US because of Shale oil production.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I thought it was all part of a price war Opec were playing with the US because of Shale oil production.
And isn't this having an impact on North Sea Oil production. Something that Nicola Sturgeon was relying on to finance the Scottish economy during the first referendum.
I can see any future referendums being defeated by even more of a majority. Just do the maths.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

14-03-2017, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
And isn't this having an impact on North Sea Oil production. Something that Nicola Sturgeon was relying on to finance the Scottish economy during the first referendum.
I can see any future referendums being defeated by even more of a majority. Just do the maths.
Hey that's the other thread!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top