Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 11:26 PM

Re: The Sinking £

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Hey that's the other thread!
Sorry Annie, sometimes one thread morph's into another....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 11:35 PM

Nicola Sturgeon seems to be taking over the forum today, but I guess she is ultimately responsible for the sinking pound so not entirely off topic.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2017, 11:12 AM

Sorry but did you say that Nicola Sturgeon was responsible for the sinking pound?

Remember what happened to the pound the day after 23 June 2016...

Those irrefutable economic laws are bound to come back and kick you in the backside regardless of the refusal of Leavers to acknowledge that they too are powerless to do anything about them.

Just the first step in realising the national calamity that is Brexit.

When international investors see that the pound isn't worth much they will pull out of the UK. why work harder to raise the same amount of convertible money ?

Major corporations have other production sites all over the world. Easy enough to shut up shop in the UK.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2017, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Flicker ->
Sorry but did you say that Nicola Sturgeon was responsible for the sinking pound?

Remember what happened to the pound the day after 23 June 2016...

Those irrefutable economic laws are bound to come back and kick you in the backside regardless of the refusal of Leavers to acknowledge that they too are powerless to do anything about them.

When international investors see that the pound isn't worth much they will pull out of the UK. why work harder to raise the same amount of convertible money ?

Major corporations have other production sites all over the world. Easy enough to shut up shop in the UK.

The pound will always suffer in times of uncertainty Flicker but stability always returns once the markets see where things are going.

Why shut up shop to a potential market of over 60 million people, only a fool would do that.
Toyota have just announced a massive investment in their Derby plant. They obviously have the confidence in the British people to survive. I might even return the favour by purchasing a Toyota vehicle....

And Siemens [A German Company] are continuing to expand and invest in their Wind Turbine business near Hull.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2017, 11:36 AM

There is still at least two years to go OGF. No company is going to stop producing for two years.

Closing or shrinking a company however takes a few months. I hope Mayhem will remember how many jobs are at stake allied to the single market.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

17-03-2017, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Flicker ->
There is still at least two years to go OGF. No company is going to stop producing for two years.

Closing or shrinking a company however takes a few months. I hope Mayhem will remember how many jobs are at stake allied to the single market.
Business is business Flicker, large companies are there to make money for the investors, end of. They make their own rules at the end of the day....Or grease someone's palm in the heart of Brussels...After all, the EU is only interested in it's own survival.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2017, 01:11 PM

I know some Eastern Europeans are leaving, sadly it's nothing to do with earning potential they are really feeling not wanted and a bit fearful of it getting worse. I know a few while I've never agreed with Eu it's never occurred to me to treat them any different to anyone else because they were simply obeying all the laws. Not their fault at all but some people like to apportion blame to them personally and some nasty things have been said

But back to the pound, we all knew it may be bumpy if our government had any compassion they would stop the austerity measures and protect the poorest. I am not holding my breath on that one but have upped our support of food bank locally and encourage anyone with a bit to spare to do likewise, especially needed sanitary protection and razors I'm told at the moment.
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2017, 06:09 PM

The pound is been kept down at the present by interest rates
Lets get back to the late 70's interest rates at 12% then we were making money
The banks cant go on with these silly rates they cannot make money and therefore they can't lend

just to get them back to 5% would be a start then all the investors would return
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2017, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Vaniy ->
The pound is been kept down at the present by interest rates
Lets get back to the late 70's interest rates at 12% then we were making money
The banks cant go on with these silly rates they cannot make money and therefore they can't lend

just to get them back to 5% would be a start then all the investors would return
Hi

Best laugh I have had in years.

We would be bankrupt within a year.

We are effectively borrowing for less than 0.5 % even taking into account the falling £.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a7135066.html

Raising interest rates to 5% would result in our borrowing costs going up from £41 billion a year to over £410 billion a year.

Economic suicide and massive tax increases.

Why would any Company come here and pay 10 times to build a factory then it would cost them to do so in Japan or Germany?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2017, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
The Dutch vote tomorrow looks like an anti EU will win.
Good prediction, you should be an economist, they're always wrong too.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top