Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 04:46 PM

when is a will not a will

In this case when you have cut out your estranged daughter and left it to animal charities.

The will was revised by a judge but the animal charities have fought back and won their appeal

Should a will be overrode by judges?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39278921
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 05:29 PM

Re: when is a will not a will

I suppose the letter was seen as a legal statement of wishes.

They obviously didnt enjoy a good relationship so I'm with the judge on this one.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 05:37 PM

It's a difficult one without knowing the people involved and all the facts.
There is probably a lot more to it than we know.

I do think however, that we must be allowed to leave our 'estate' to whoever we wish. Even if this is done out of spite, sadly, it is still the deceased's wishes.

Some relatives only pop up when there is a will to be read, although I am NOT saying that was the case here, as I simply don't know enough about it.

I do know however, that when I complete my revised will, which I am considering carefully at the moment, that I will come back and haunt anyone who tries to disregard my wishes!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 05:37 PM

The daughter should not even get the £50,000. Surely if you make a will, your wishes should be carried out as you wish and if you can't afford to take your five kids on holiday, don't have them in the first place.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 08:13 PM

There's no way a person's will should be overruled, providing it was all done legally and above board.

Whose money was it anyway?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I suppose the letter was seen as a legal statement of wishes.

They obviously didnt enjoy a good relationship so I'm with the judge on this one.
So am I. The woman was entitled to will her estate to whomever she wanted. If the daughter didn't like it, bad luck.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 08:44 PM

I agree with everything everyone has already said - a legal will must be honoured - otherwise what is the point of making one !
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I agree with everything everyone has already said - a legal will must be honoured - otherwise what is the point of making one !
Yes, I agree ST, if the challenge to the will was successful it would set a dangerous precedent and it would make writing wills a thing of the past.....I think there would be plenty of solicitors and will writers who would be slightly dis-chuffed.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
There's no way a person's will should be overruled, providing it was all done legally and above board.

Whose money was it anyway?
Absolutely agree.
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 08:51 AM

A will is a legal and binding document,recognized by the Court's,This judge overstepped his authority.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top