Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 05:33 PM

Cholesterol

Do you know your cholesterol level? Had mine checked recently and it's gone up quite a bit.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 05:39 PM

Re: Cholesterol

yes mines at 6 for one year only it was 4 , i believe they made a mistake when it came out 4..

There is two parts to the Cholesterol test , i was told one part was good but the other was high ..
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 05:43 PM

Eliza, mine was 6.4 and is now 8.5. I attend a gym regularly, am not overweight and don't smoke.
I'm hoping they've made a mistake with mine !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 05:44 PM

I'm just back from the nurse who told me my cholesterol was high had a five minute discussion about statins and why I am determined not to use them. Then she admitted it was the good stuff that was high not the bad !
cranberry
Notts, UK

21-03-2017, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm just back from the nurse who told me my cholesterol was high had a five minute discussion about statins and why I am determined not to use them. Then she admitted it was the good stuff that was high not the bad !
Oh, that's excellent news, Julie! What is your secret, vegetarian diet, maybe?
I have to lower mine, somehow, not keen to have statins although not been offered them yet.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 06:12 PM

Yes mine is 4.6, I have always had quite good levels.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 06:21 PM

Mine was not particularly high but because I also have high blood pressure they put me on statins. I'm careful what I eat, lost weight, got my bmi to normal and lowered my cholesterol level but no suggestion I come off the tablets.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Eliza, mine was 6.4 and is now 8.5. I attend a gym regularly, am not overweight and don't smoke.
I'm hoping they've made a mistake with mine !
Thats a big jump if its in one year,more than likely a mistake .
personally i think its luck of the draw , by that i mean how your body behaves .
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 08:05 PM

I have been taking statins for more than ten years. Back then my count was over seven. Since taking statins it has dropped to a little over four. I have monthly blood tests to check for kidney functions etc.
Stepping aside now to await the words of wisdom from Realist.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 09:55 PM

Your overall reading of Cholesterol is meaningless without knowing how it is made up Cranberry.

HDL......[High density liprotens].......This reading should be over the value of 1...
It stops the dangerous LDL [Low Density Liprotens] from being sticky and adhering to the sides of your arteries.
Triglycerides......also bad for you and derived from sugar and should be lower than 1.7

Ask for a breakdown of these three components of your Cholesterol.

Take your Overall reading and divide it by your HDL reading. This is called your 'Ratio' and should be under 4........Your Doctor should use your 'Ratio' to determine whether your levels are too high....

Dieting will do very little to lower your Cholesterol because it is mainly produced in the Liver. Make sure you fast for twelve hours before you go for a Cholesterol Test, otherwise your Triglycerides might be high and give a false high overall reading.

Triglycerides are raised by the amount of sugar in the blood and if you have eaten any carbohydrates prior to your test your body will not have had time to disperse the sugar. All of your sugar should have been dispersed after twelve hours, if not, there is a problem, possibly diabetes.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top