Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2017, 10:32 PM

Re: high blood pressure

It's difficult to advise you Gary without knowing if you are overweight and sedate or reasonably able bodied and fit. In my opinion, by far the best way of reducing your blood pressure without meds would be exercise. I'm not talking marathons or hours spent in the gym lifting weights, but regular walking or cycling. You mention in your profile that you don't drive, so I wondered how you usually get from A to B?
And by the way.......Welcome to the forum....
itsabeautifulday
New Member!
staffordshire
itsabeautifulday is male 

26-03-2017, 12:11 AM

Nothing arrogant in my view about the suggestion you should follow the healthy natural route rather than the pop a pill route. I agree to a certain extent but its hard and so much pressure is put on people to go down the pharmaceutical route. I personally think we pop way too many pills as a solution, its a multi billion pound industry so its obvious to anyone with a little intelligence that they want you on pills for life. I hate to think I am going to be on blood pressure pills for rest of my life so will look at all the options. To answer few questions, I am slightly overweight and like a beer and good food but also very active and most days do at least 45 mins exercise. As most of us know its very hard to loose the pounds when you reach this age especially round the tummy.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 07:18 AM

Realist has helped some of us with his advice but something as dangerous as high bp especially if you've refused to address it for over ten years is seriously dangerous. Do what the doctor recommends they aren't bribed into giving ramipril if genuinely is best drug they've had in years for this. It protects your heart as well as lowering bp.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 10:37 AM

I’ve been on Amplodipene for over 10 years now. Recently the dose was reduced from 10mg to 5mg. I think it has done me good. I’m still alive and I shall be 86 years old in a week’s time. There are no symptoms for high blood pressure. It needs to be tested for.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 10:57 AM

I have been on a cocktail of tablets for years now and never any side effects.

I usually test at around 110/70.

Of course life style changes help but sometimes a little `extra` does not seem to do any harm.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by itsabeautifulday ->
Nothing arrogant in my view about the suggestion you should follow the healthy natural route rather than the pop a pill route. I agree to a certain extent but its hard and so much pressure is put on people to go down the pharmaceutical route. I personally think we pop way too many pills as a solution, its a multi billion pound industry so its obvious to anyone with a little intelligence that they want you on pills for life. I hate to think I am going to be on blood pressure pills for rest of my life so will look at all the options. To answer few questions, I am slightly overweight and like a beer and good food but also very active and most days do at least 45 mins exercise. As most of us know its very hard to loose the pounds when you reach this age especially round the tummy.
I might agree with you BUT you aren't going to have a rest of your life if you don't do something about it NOW.
Get on them asap and at the same time change your lifestyle
You are only 52 its a dangerous age for a man ,it's not that hard to lose weight cut the beer and walk further !
If later you feel you can give them up do so but at the moment you are a walking time bomb.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 01:32 PM

This may help to work out your weight

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Health...alculator.aspx
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2017, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I think your insistance on people ignoring the medical advice thay've received is dangerous and, tbh, arrogant....why would somebody ignore their doctor on your say so?
Appreciate your view Tpin but it's a view seen from the inside of the "Matrix", hence I can't agree.

The health industry is not in the least bit interested in your health. It exists as a multitrillion dollar business who's business model revolves around making you sick, keeping you sick for the longest time and selling you all manner of potions, pills and treatments in that time. Healthy people do not generate money for that industry.

The concept of medical authority is equally farcical in today's world. I don't assign any authority to my local GP whatsoever. They are an integral part of the big business machinery whether they realise it or not, and have been trained, "educated" and essentially conditioned to run that system.

If you start on the potions and pills routinely recommended and prescribed by this fraudulent system, you will find yourslef on them for life. Each pill brings with it specific undesirable side effects which then require the next pill or potion and that simply spirals out of control until older people become effectively drug addicts being supplied by their pimp GPs.

Nature knows best Tpin. The only arrogance here is those that don't place Nature's ways and Nature's authority at the top of the tree. Humans are creatures of Nature. Frankly anyone who doesn't go to Nature in the first instance to look for a treatment for an ailment, is imo an utter fool.

Blood pressure can be managed naturally, no question about it. But hey, if you want to pop pills the rest of your life then knock yourself out.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2017, 09:34 AM

Some high blood pressure problems aren't easily managed with out medication realist. My family have a long history of stroke and high blood pressure, no one could have had a more healthy life than my neice she rarely used salt, ate very healthy vegetarian way and still her blood pressure caused a stroke at 21. My sisters both of them have high blood pressure are stick thin, I have high blood pressure am obese. If I lost weight I still can't get my blood pressure down.

I've said you really do help some of us but you have to realise occasionally we do need medication to keep us alive.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2017, 09:44 AM

I don't understand the health professionals and blood pressure. One doctor tells me my blood pressure is too high and I should go on medication the next that it is best to avoid medication unless you BP is very high and stays there.

I go to a chest clinic once a year. Last year when I went the nurse was concerned with the reading and asked me to take readings twice a day for a week (I have a monitor at home) and work out an average then let her know.
I went to the chest clinic a couple of weeks ago and the nurse this year didn't even check my blood pressure which is higher on average at the moment than it was last year nor did she want to see the measurements I had been taking for a week previous to my visits. She was far more interested in checking I could use an inhaler correctly after year of using one.
All very confusing..

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top