Join for free
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 07:10 AM

March of the snowflakes

I must say I didn't hear about this march either .
London is like another country at times.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...=facebook-post
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 09:38 AM

Re: March of the snowflakes

Ok what are they marching for ? Decision was made months ago and we are on our way out the door.

It's people like this worry me if we don't all work toward the same goal it won't work.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 10:05 AM

I am very surprised that the BBC didn't pick up on this, they normally love this stuff. Maybe it's because they got a bit of a telling off for their anti-Brexit propaganda?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 11:57 AM

Personally it was a matter of indifference to me whether Britain stayed in the EU or not. I voted against it in 1975 but I was surprised that the vote was to leave and by such a slender margin.

You could argue that such a momentous decision should only pass if it passed a more rigorous test than 50% plus one vote. Such a big decision is a bit like changing the constitution and should require a more decisive vote surely?

For example in order to change our Constitution Parliament has to pass a referendum bill. If a majority of people in a majority of states and a majority of people across the nation as a whole vote 'yes' (called a double majority), then the proposal to amend the Constitution is agreed to. Otherwise the Constitution remains unchanged.

I know this won't suit the majority on here who wanted to leave but what if the vote had gone the other way?

Do you think the test for Brexit should have been harder to avoiding splitting the country in such a divisive way?

BTW since federation 44 questions to change the constitution have gone to referendum only 8 have passed. When you look back at the these decisions the choices made were, in hindsight, wise ones.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 12:04 PM

I blame Cameron for that he could have asked it better and made it more vigorous test.

He really thought he was right and we'd never vote out.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I must say I didn't hear about this march either .
London is like another country at times.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...=facebook-post
They can march all they want as far as I'm concerned. They will achieve nothing; Article 50 has been triggered and I am confident that, despite all the threats and prophesies of doom, the future will see us flourish.

Happy Brexit Day everyone!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I know this won't suit the majority on here who wanted to leave but what if the vote had gone the other way?
I would have done the same as I did in 1975 when I was given the vote to remain or leave the Common Market and I voted to leave and lost, I got on with it .

One of the rare times I agreed with Tony Benn....
A letter from Tony Benn to his constituents in 1975, how right he was!
But we must recognise that the European Community has now set itself the objectives of developing a common foreign policy, a form of common nationality expressed through a common passport, a directly elected assembly and an economic and monetary union which, taken together, would in effect make the United Kingdom into one province of a Western European state.
https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/0...5-referendum/#
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
They can march all they want as far as I'm concerned. They will achieve nothing; Article 50 has been triggered and I am confident that, despite all the threats and prophesies of doom, the future will see us flourish.

Happy Brexit Day everyone!
Happy bidet to you

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top