Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2017, 01:46 PM

Re: You guv poll 53% of leave voters want death penalty post brexit

Death penalty Yes in principle - no in practice as our justice system isn't good enough to ensure that an innocent person isn't executed.

Selling goods in pounds and ounces Yes and no (Both imperial and metric)

Dark blue passports Yes, but not fanatical about it

Pounds, shillings & pence No

Incandescent lamps Yes - the EU approved lamps are rubbish.

Corporal punishment in schools Yes, but with very stringent safeguards.
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2017, 04:43 PM

Re: You guv poll 53% of leave voters want death penalty post brexit

To enter into the spirit of JBR's Poll, I'll have a go at answering Yes or No - though I think a lot of my answers will end up as 'Don't Know' because my decisions would be conditional on a variety of provisos!

Death penalty Don't Know.
I can see a case for removing certain types of prisoner from society altogether - e.g. Killers and violent offenders who are deemed a lifelong danger to the public and will remain in prison their whole life, proving a danger to prison staff and other prisoners. However, I'm not convinced it's a viable option. I can't think of a way to frame laws in our justice system to ensure we bump off just the types I am thinking of.
Also, looking at the Death Penalty System in the USA, people spend years and decades on Death Row, pending one Appeal after another - then the authorities seem to have problems acquiring the lethal injection chemicals. Based on what I see over there, if we introduced the Death Penalty here, the convict would probably die in prison of old age before the sentence was carried out - it would probably end up costing us more money in the long run.

Selling goods in pounds and ounces No.
though, to avoid confusion, we should continue dual labelling on packaging - until all us old folk who still 'think' in lbs and ounces have dropped off the twig.

Dark blue passports: Don't know.
Actually, I'm not at all bothered what colour my passport is - I rather like the brighter red colour because it's easier to spot when I'm rummaging through my handbag. If they go back to the old colour, I do hope they won't go back to the old unwieldy size & stiff cover - the current compact, flexible one is much easier to stuff in a handy pocket as I go through all the airport checks.
We'll need to change the wording on the front at some point but I don't think we should be in too much of a rush - let's wait to see what happens in Scotland first!

Pounds, shillings & pence No

Incandescent lamps Yes
I'm happy to use low energy alternatives in most rooms but I'm running out of my stockpile of incandescents for the standard lamp beside my chair!
I think they have a useful place but hope people wouldn't return to using them everywhere, in place of the more energy efficient ones.
I'd like to see something like this energy saving alternative to replace the old style incandescent, though

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...m-more-effici/

Corporal punishment in schools No.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top