Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2017, 09:47 PM

Re: Brexit divorce bill

Hi

It was my understanding that we have no wish for a Norway system as that involves free movement.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2017, 09:59 PM

As I understand it, the EU budget has already been calculated up to 2020/21 and our contribution taken into consideration so we will still have to pay a proportion of that also a contributions towards the pensions of EU officials.

I fully expect that we will have to honour any commitments we signed up for prior to our leaving.

I can't wait to be rid of it all ....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2017, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It was my understanding that we have no wish for a Norway system as that involves free movement.
That's my understanding too if she came back with anything like that I predict trouble.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2017, 11:54 PM

Hi

Having seen the starting stance I think we will be grateful if we get this. They have all the cards in their hands. I cannot see what we have to bargain with. Can you?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2017, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Having seen the starting stance I think we will be grateful if we get this. They have all the cards in their hands. I cannot see what we have to bargain with. Can you?
Hi

I was hoping for a degree of commonsense in these negotiations, unfortunately it now seems that we are heading for the very worst type of divorce.

This has not been helped by the vitriol poured out by some of our Politicians and certain sections of the media.

Things like we can can hurt them more than they can hurt us, Boris and his Nazi jibe, we will break up the EU etc were not very sensible.

They are determined to keep the EU together, so we are going to be taught some simple facts of life.

The EU is much bigger than us, the biggest Trading Bloc in the World.

The EU has trading agreements with 80 Countries, we have none of our own.

They have been brutal, when we leave, we leave not only the EU single market, we also leave all the 80 trading agreements as well.

Which means we will have to start from zero again.

The EU will be using their Economic clout to ensure that not one of the Countries involved starts negotiating with us until after we leave.

The EU is a much bigger market than the UK, so it will not be in these Countries interests to do so.

We have not got the Trade Negotiators to do this, the EU is keeping them, an offer they cannot refuse salary wise.

We have still got several hundred positions vacant.

To my mind, May has made a huge mistake in mentioning Security in the letter, it was a major bargaining point, best kept for when things got nasty.

It now seems inevitable that we are heading for the hardest of hard Brexits, which will do no one any good.

Such is life.

There are things we can do, all is not lost.

Whether or not we do them is another matter.

We could break Sanctions with Russia, open up a big market there, just acknowledge that the Ukraine is a basket case.

We continue in NATO, but spend our money here, not on defending Germany, which has refused to spend what we do on Defence.

We withdraw all Security Co operation with the EU, they completely rely on us for that, pull out of Europol and charge them for any info they need from GCHQ.

The EU has absolutely nothing like it.

We counter the EU by becoming a Tax Haven, a Singapore just outside the EU.

The EU is refusing to passport our Banks, we do the same to them, so Santander and Societe General get thumped, have to move an Head Office here and pay tax here.

If things get tough, then so be it, we must play tough also.

There is nothing we can do about Open Skies, that is a loser for us, and a big one.

We can also change our Benefits System, no in work Benefits for any immigrant for 5 years and any EU Immigrant coming here must require a Visa with a full Criminal History Disclosure.

As far as Merkel is concerned, who seems to be leading this, along with Hollande, a very simple response.

VW and Audi have been sued for Billions in the US for fiddling emissions standards.

We do exactly the same here, sue them, we are one of their biggest markets, it would cause them immense damage.

Nasty I know, but we are fighting for our future.

The gloves are off as far as the EU is concerned, we should respond.

We should also immediately charge any and all EU Migrant here the full costs of Medical Treatment, they charge us, we should charge them.

Admin Costs of charging are fully recoverable, so no problem at all.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2017, 08:38 AM

Hi

We have not got the Trade Negotiators to do this, the EU is keeping them, an offer they cannot refuse salary wise.

We have still got several hundred positions vacant.
Well that's just great. Where did you see this reported? Why go into article 50 if we don't even have a decent negotiating team?

Such is life.
Such is stupidity.

There are things we can do, all is not lost.

Whether or not we do them is another matter.
These are just like trying to dent a coat of armour with a toothpick. We just have to face facts, we no longer have much influence. It also appears they understand the system and how to apply constraints on us far better than we do. You only have to watch the select committees to understand why we are so poorly prepared...
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2017, 10:14 AM

Apparently it gets worse!!!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a7660461.html
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2017, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
There is bound to be a financial liability as we leave the EU and many figures are being bandied around, the most common one being around £50 billion but is that so bad? As an individual I would fully expect to honour any commitments made to others during a business relationship so I would expect no less of us as a country.

No doubt though, there will be credits as well as debits to our account, but if it does end up around the £50 billion, equivalent to just three year's membership fees, isn't that a price worth paying to grease the wheels of our departure and indicate goodwill to our neighbours and bolster our future trading relationship?

After all, who would want to trade with someone who breaks their word and reneges on their bills, I certainly wouldn't.
50 Billion?

How many Nuclear Power Stations would that buy?

Or High Speed Trains?

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2017, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

(Uh oh, I've used up all the lols!)
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2017, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Isn't the UK's annual net contribution more like 9 bn?
So in other words more like 7 years worth?

Any divorce can get messy and this looks like the other 27 countries are out to shaft us .. and make an example of us to deter any other members who think of leaving.
Nor am I sure May is up to it. I don't think she has the mettle. She's not tough enough.

Short of telling the EU to take a hike and do their worst... if push comes to shove I'd suspend the foreign aid budget for the next 5 to 10 years (apart from natural disasters aid like earthquakes). That'd bring in 60 to 120 bn.
Which we will need to buffer the transition period... re-establish our place in the world and inject some much needed cash into our currently ailing NHS and Welfare services, and industrial base.
So simplistic.

It has nothing to do with annual payments.
The UK has signed up to various commitments including pensions for admin who work for the EU, contributions to joint projects such as space, the Airbus, research projects, educational contributions to Erasmus, all of which were started on the basis of financial support promised before.

Leaving without paying up means years of work down the pan and many jobs at risk.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top