Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2017, 11:28 PM

Re: What did you think of older people when you were young?

What did you think of older people when you were young?

I didn't really think about people in terms of being 'older people' they were 'my elders and betters' and as such I automatically gave them my respect without question.
It was the way of things when I was growing up
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 08:51 AM

Depended who they were, some I respected greatly, some scared me, some I knew were not to be respected what ever age I or they were.

Some seemed of another time and hadn't moved with the times others were bang up to date and great fun.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 09:39 AM

When I first started work at the age of sixteen my workmate was 24. We got on really well and used to go out drinking etc but I used to think he was quite old.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 09:48 AM

I was a bit in awe of them, i never thought i would be one yet............

Here I am
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I was a bit in awe of them, i never thought i would be one yet............

Here I am
But you still look eighteen Summer.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 10:43 AM

When l was young, l thought every one that was over thirty was old! I thought anyone over sixty was ancient and near to the grave! Yet, when you get to that age, you realise they weren't old at all, it was just your perception of age at the time.
If any one refers to me as being old, l feel quite upset as l don't feel old and will fight age all the way!!
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 12:30 PM

I always got on really well with my paternal grandparents. They seemed to be much more understanding and permissive than my parents. As a teenager I had a part-time job in my local library and spent lots of my time at work talking to the OAPs who came in to the library to keep warm and read the paper for free. I found them endlessly fascinating with their tales of both world wars and the hard times they had suffered during the 20's.
Although amongst ourselves, my friends and I swore like troopers and were little tearaways, we were always very respectful of old people and wouldn't dream of swearing in front them or being rude to them. This. of course was partly self-preservation as there was much more of a community then and everyone knew each other. If I'd been rude to an old person, it would have got back to my mum double quick and I would suffer the consequences.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 02:30 PM

One thing i noice about some of the young of today .
They never moderate their language when passing other people .
Fffing this that or the other and they don't care who is listening .
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 03:00 PM

What did I think of old folks when I was young? They were slow, behind the times, thought they knew everything, grumpy, bossy, and best avoided.
We were the new generation of the 60's, we had the new sounds, the new gear, we could walk out of one job and straight into another, we had money to spend and we were young and carefree.
Every generation thinks their time is the best time, that's only natural, but in my experience in Dublin every generation had respect for old people, and to their credit the youngsters today are far more polite to older people than we were back in the 1960's.
Personally I always enjoyed listening to old lads yarns in the local as a young man, I realised that you actually did learn more from the older ones.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2017, 02:20 PM

Towards the end of WW2 there were few men around, especially in the call up age ranges from 18 up to, about, 50, as they were mostly away serving the Country.

My father, and all of my uncles, were gone for all of the war.

The role models were the Mums & Aunties who, often, had to work most of the day in order to feed their families.

These role models were tough, and brooked no arguments, in my experience. Manners were expected and achieved.

After the war ended, there were less than expected numbers of Grandad/Uncle types around, probably a shortage which continued for 10 years, or so, until the generations started to rebuild.

I never met a Grandad, from either parental side, and I only met two of my Grandmothers once, or twice, as they tended to be gone before they got into their 70s.

Those were very strict Ladies!

As I have now reached the level, of Great Grandad, several times over, I feel that we didn't know our own luck.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top