Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2017, 02:11 PM

Job ,house or Baby

Today's young people are in a hard place .
We had the easy years university grants and plenty of jobs
I feel sorry for them but some make it there are still lots of children about .

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...d-house-prices
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2017, 02:18 PM

Re: Job ,house or Baby

Today they want everything handed to them and don't have a clue about Guzumping with house buying as we did in the early 1970's.

Don't know where you are coming from Muddy but it certainly was no picnic when we started out.

16 hr day 7 days a week,to save for our first house doing several jobs between us- no holidays or days off for 18 months to get our first home. Weekends didn't exist back then

To give some idea my main job paid £15 a week rising to about £25 a week and we saved £1500 during those 18 months and that was enough for the house deposit on one costing £7450 2 bed middle of terrace of 3.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2017, 02:21 PM

You are joking .
Houses where I live go for thousands over their asking prices their are about 20 people for each house unless there is something dreastically wrong with it and bidding wars are encouraged by estate agents .
Rents are high about £750 pm for a 2 bog standard place before paying all the bills and this is a rural area .
Jobs are also at a premium there just aren't the jobs to work all hours.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2017, 02:26 PM

I do not joke about this, my wife and I knuckled down and grafted, something youngsters arn't prepared to do now.
There are hundreds of jobs they can do but not prepared to go self employed, they want jobs given to them.

Just one I can point out

http://www.guttercleaningmachines.co...ortunities.asp

Trouble is they all want office jobs and not prepared to get their hands grubby.
This country is crying out for brick layers-carpenters- plumbers-electricians -plasterers and the like
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

14-04-2017, 02:33 PM

They don't you know they want interesting jobs we have brought them up to be educated people .
Gutter cleaning doesn't sound like a steady job -one that will get you a mortgage .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

14-04-2017, 02:34 PM

that was what guzumping did when we wanted our first house. We went to look at several and by the time we got back to the estate agent the same day the properties were sold while we were viewing

exactly what you said without going into it, they don't want to get hands dirty. i would not turn down £1500 a week cash in hand
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

14-04-2017, 02:35 PM

I do agree that getting a trade is a good thing .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

14-04-2017, 02:41 PM

having been self employed for many years owning an animal boarding establishment, what I would say is working for yourself is putting money into your pocket not your employers. Sue and I no way could we have got the house we now have working for someone else.
So even without any skill oven cleaning (yes there is a call for it) ,gutter cleaning (yes there is money to be made doing it)- chimney sweeping- gardening- window cleaning- garden path cleaning are all there to be taken up.We even have around here clothes ironing companies who collect and deliver to houses, possibly one for the ladies. That is let alone my hobby of photography a huge call for that with family functions including weddings. Then there is painting and decorating- dog walking, oh the list is endless

As I said the problem is youngsters don't want to get off their backsides and see the jobs available to them, and what is more no qualifications needed
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2017, 02:57 PM

I'm not sure the kid's should be blamed...there aren't the apprenticeships these days.

Soon you'll all be paying brickies £5k per week.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

14-04-2017, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I'm not sure the kid's should be blamed...there aren't the apprenticeships these days.

Soon you'll all be paying brickies £5k per week.
True but nothing stopping them going to night school as I did to learn carpentry or another trade. I was also an apprentice electrician at the same time doing day release

Always remember my first pay packet age 15.

it was £5 -15s- 11p for a 60 hr week and £3-10 shillings of that was for an out of town living allowance
How times have changed since 1960
gave that upnot long after I qualified I could not stand working outside in the freezing cold on building sites

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top