Join for free
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2017, 12:50 PM

Re: general election 8th June!

Does this jeopardise Brexit, or as she has put in Article 50 (or whatever) is there no turning back? Would a new party have to honour it, or can they reverse the decision?

I'm finding this all rather worrying. I feel she's doing a good job and don't see any reason for rocking the boat.

I voted Out, and hope we get what I wished for. There is no way I'd vote for Labour...no fricking way!
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2017, 12:55 PM

Just an election...thank Gawd for that....When a newsflash was announced on the box I thought Fatboy in N. Korea had done something daft.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2017, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Does this jeopardise Brexit, or as she has put in Article 50 (or whatever) is there no turning back? Would a new party have to honour it, or can they reverse the decision?

I'm finding this all rather worrying. I feel she's doing a good job and don't see any reason for rocking the boat.

I voted Out, and hope we get what I wished for. There is no way I'd vote for Labour...no fricking way!
Jazzi as I see it we are committed to leave whom ever wins , this is not another referendum.

What I think we are voting for where the EU is concerned is which of the parties do we trust to take us out.
The Liberals, well their heart isn't in it ,
Labour with wishy washy Corbyn , I would trust him to get me out of a paper bag.
For me Mrs May seems to be the only one with the guts to drive our departure froward.

Ok we may not agree with all the Tory policies but on this one big thing, leaving the EU and our future for generations to come there is only one person I feel is capable of pushing this through and that is May.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2017, 01:23 PM

Concerns are growing for a lone sailor that left Brighton earlier today...last seen heading towards Russia.

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2017, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
It's certainly a gamble on her part. Should she fail to get the majority she hopes for the country will be in limbo once again with perhaps another coalition which will be an absolute disaster as the likes of Sturgeon, Corbyn and Farron will try and scupper the Brexit negotiations or even try and reverse the outcome of the referendum.
I think there is a very personal agenda in this decision. If the above happens she can wash her hands of the affair knowing the electorate made the choice.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2017, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I think there is a very personal agenda in this decision. If the above happens she can wash her hands of the affair knowing the electorate made the choice.
I think you may be right. She must be sick of the likes of Corbyn and Sturgeon. I would probably do the same in her position. She also knows that Labour are at their lowest point ever.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2017, 01:29 PM

I think for the leavers amongst us Mrs May is doing exactly the right thing.

Imagine going through two years of negotiations to leave the EU only to have parliament bickering and voting against the outcome and trying to prevent our leaving. If May gets a decent majority she will be able to silence the dissenters who try to oppose the outcome of the negotiations, she can say I have the country behind me.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2017, 01:29 PM

Unfortunately we will now have to endure another six weeks of political drivel.... and watch out for the BBC's biased coverage.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2017, 01:33 PM

Hi

Mrs May has a tiny majority, she is in an impossible position.

She is beholden to a tiny number of ultra right wing Conservative MPs, my own MP is one of them.

I am glad she has done this, hopes she wins with a much bigger majority and gets on with leaving the EU.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2017, 01:35 PM

Her statement was a complaint. The snap election is her protest.

"Let us tomorrow vote for an election, let us put forward our plans for Brexit and our alternative programmes for government and then let the people decide."

What would be interesting is if there is a vote against the election. Her position would then become untenable.

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top