Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 08:49 PM

Tory MP John Redwood Says We Don’t Need European Wine, Cheese And Cars Post-Brexit

Another scumbag 'nasty party' has opened his big gob and stuck both his size 13 boots in the gaping hole!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...3D355808897_uk
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 08:58 PM

Re: Tory MP John Redwood Says We Don’t Need European Wine, Cheese And Cars Post-Brexit

Nowt wrong with that. I don't buy French wines and cheeses, stick to home produced cheeses such as the ubiquitous Cheddar and Wensleydale. Wines are from the former `colonies` except for a nice Italian Chianti or Prosecco (I don't mind the Italians ).
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 09:03 PM

Re: Tory MP John Redwood Says We Don’t Need European Wine, Cheese And Cars Post-Brexit

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Nowt wrong with that. I don't buy French wines and cheeses, stick to home produced cheeses such as the ubiquitous Cheddar and Wensleydale. Wines are from the former `colonies` except for a nice Italian Chianti or Prosecco (I don't mind the Italians ).
I personally happen to prefer a French wine - a very crisp Gewurztraminer - goes fabulously well with Carrs Melts and a nice Camanbert!!!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 09:23 PM

The only French wines I ever buy are the Beaujolaises like Brouilly and Fluerie. I can most certainly live without them.

I can very happily continue with the great Argentinian Mendoza Malbecs, the huge variety of Aussie wines and South African Pinotage and the like. No worries at all.

As for cheese, you can't beat a bit of Wensleydale, a hunk of crumbly Lancashire and any of a multitude of mature cheddars and there's a myriad of other fantastic UK cheeses to boot ! Only over Easter I had the fortune to try a host of new (and rather expensive) UK cheeses including Norfolk White Lady, Walsingham and Gubbeen. Delicious !
The UK is absolutely awash with great local cheeses including:

British Brie, British Camembert, Caerphilly, Cornish Yarg (yum!), Derby, Double Gloucester, Lancashire, Red Leicester, Shropshire Blue, Stilton, Lincolnshire Poacher . . . etc

The Telegraph also highlighted 10 of the best which included:

Stawley, St James, Hafod, Beauvale, Capra Nouveau, Corra Linn, Berwick Edge, St Jude and Barkham Blue.

Most of those I've never even heard of !

Redwood is right about wines too. At least White wines anyway. For many years now we've had some excellent UK white wines. The Camel Valley vineyard for example has been making great wines for years. Their Bacchus wines are excellent.

Equally we have lots of great local producers making all manner of dried meats, salamis, chorizos etc.

We lost a ton of these local producers because of cheap imports and the pressure of supermarkets. Britain can revitalise all those industries if, as customers, we see the value and strength in being nationally self sufficient and give them our support. That means we have to kick supermarkets into touch or at least severely limit how much custom we afford them.

It's an exciting time. We will be establishing new trade links with non-EU countries and that will open up all manner of new and exciting produce. Maybe all sorts of things from Canada and Australia for example.

This period of change will actually put us ahead of the game. We will re-establish areas of self sufficiency and establish new lines of trades. Meanwhile, the rest of the EU will slowly collapse as other countries man up and have the balls to leave too. Then once that juggernaut starts rolling countries will be clamouring to buy into the new trade deals.

Very exciting times!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I personally happen to prefer a French wine - a very crisp Gewurztraminer - goes fabulously well with Carrs Melts and a nice Camanbert!!!
You can buy Gewurztraminer from lots of countries who grow that variety of grape. This includes Australia, Canada and the USA. You can also buy British Camembert's made in Cornwall, Somerset and Carmarthenshire. You can also buy British Brie
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 09:51 PM

I can get 2 bottles of red, white or rose from the offy for £5.50 only gonna drink it eh

No idea what country it's from.

Cheddar cheese, brie and camembert ... yummmmm
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 10:20 PM

Beaujolais, fromage, pffft, Quesque c'est? ..?

The main blooper was "You do not have to buy German or French cars. There is a good choice of models, prices & specifications available from UK car factories." Le vroom-vroom to you Monsieur Rougebois.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 10:28 PM

No doubt we could do without French wine and vehicles, but why?
Our argument is not with the French or the Germans, it's with the bureaucracy of the EU.
The way to beat the EU is to make Johnny foreigner sympathetic to our cause, there are many who would take our side.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 11:06 PM

Hi

The issue is we are not dealing with individual EU Countries, we are dealing with the EU itself.

The tone for the negotiations has already been set by the EU, summed up in one sentence by one of the negotiators.

" If you are not sitting at the table, you are on the Menu"

We shall have to wait and see.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 01:46 AM

I am drinking a nice Italian merlot at the moment .
Looks like I will have to settle for Sarf Afriken in the future .

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top