Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 08:05 AM

Re: Tory MP John Redwood Says We Don’t Need European Wine, Cheese And Cars Post-Brexit

Well said Twink, I'm with you all the way on this. There is too much negativity on here. The reason we will be struggling to feed ourselves without EU help is (1) as Swim says...most of our farmers and food producing industry has been kidnapped by the EU and (2) Because due to unrestricted border controls we are now overpopulated and this small island can not sustain the needs of so many people.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 08:11 AM

Re: Tory MP John Redwood Says We Don’t Need European Wine, Cheese And Cars Post-Brexit

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Well said Twink, I'm with you all the way on this. There is too much negativity on here. The reason we will be struggling to feed ourselves without EU help is (1) as Swim says...most of our farmers and food producing industry has been kidnapped by the EU and (2) Because due to unrestricted border controls we are now overpopulated and this small island can not sustain the needs of so many people.
Exactly Foxy! If we don't prove our strength over the difficult years, we will become the joke that the EU are currently trying to show us as. I believe that the British people are stronger that that, but negativity will destroy that strength
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 08:27 AM

Hi

The issue I have is not with the British People, but with our Politicians.

Most of what we export to the EU are Services, not goods.

Services are not subject to WTO Rules, so the EU can simply refuse to licence them unless the Companies have a Head Office in the EU and pay Tax there.

A huge net loss in Tax for the UK and a gain for the EU.

This was always going to happen.

The EU exports a vast amount of Goods and Agricultural Produce to the UK, far far more than we export to them.

These are subject to WTO Tariffs, so we would be £Billions better off after Brexit.

The problem is this, we use the EU Systems to collect WTO Tariffs, we are part of the EU, so can do this.

When we leave, we cannot use the EU Systems, we need our own.

This is a massive undertaking, we go from 17 million a year Customs tariff payments to over 300 million.

The EU will be using their systems to collect Tariffs from the UK, so no problem for them.

The EU will turn off their systems the day we leave, they will still use them collecting Tariffs from us, we will have no system for collecting Tariffs from the EU or any of the 80 odd trade Deals which cease on that day.

This was blindingly obvious to anyone.

Cameron and Osborne did nothing because they were they would win and we would stay in.

Boris told the EU we will still be using their systems and still be using the 80 odd trade agreements the EU has.

They told him to naff off, when you leave you leave.

The reality has hit home now, we will not have our own system for some years after we leave.

That is why May wants a transitional deal which will mean we are still paying in.

A complete nonsense.

Some may call this negativity, I call it the reality of the mess our Politicians have got us into.

We voted to leave last June. 10 months later we have still not even written the contract for the new system we need.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The issue I have is not with the British People, but with our Politicians.

Most of what we export to the EU are Services, not goods.

Services are not subject to WTO Rules, so the EU can simply refuse to licence them unless the Companies have a Head Office in the EU and pay Tax there.

A huge net loss in Tax for the UK and a gain for the EU.

This was always going to happen.

The EU exports a vast amount of Goods and Agricultural Produce to the UK, far far more than we export to them.

These are subject to WTO Tariffs, so we would be £Billions better off after Brexit.

The problem is this, we use the EU Systems to collect WTO Tariffs, we are part of the EU, so can do this.

When we leave, we cannot use the EU Systems, we need our own.

This is a massive undertaking, we go from 17 million a year Customs tariff payments to over 300 million.

The EU will be using their systems to collect Tariffs from the UK, so no problem for them.

The EU will turn off their systems the day we leave, they will still use them collecting Tariffs from us, we will have no system for collecting Tariffs from the EU or any of the 80 odd trade Deals which cease on that day.

This was blindingly obvious to anyone.

Cameron and Osborne did nothing because they were they would win and we would stay in.

Boris told the EU we will still be using their systems and still be using the 80 odd trade agreements the EU has.

They told him to naff off, when you leave you leave.

The reality has hit home now, we will not have our own system for some years after we leave.

That is why May wants a transitional deal which will mean we are still paying in.

A complete nonsense.

Some may call this negativity, I call it the reality of the mess our Politicians have got us into.

We voted to leave last June. 10 months later we have still not even written the contract for the new system we need.
And whose fault was that? The British people who didn't like the democratic vote to leave, so tried to change it!
If all you say is fact, then the government will have to invest money into setting up a new system , maybe that is why they are considering tax increases. I don't think any of us have the knowledge to assess how long it would take to set up a new system, we just have to hope that they can do it a.s.a.p.
Once again I will say, there is little point in complaining about what the politicians have done wrong, in the past, because we now need to look forward and be positive about their future actions. We all have the ability to contact our MP's if we don't like it, and alter our votes at the next election!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 09:21 AM

I have had three French cars which were fine but I wouldn't miss them. I intend to buy Japanese from now on anyway. Much more reliable.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I personally happen to prefer a French wine - a very crisp Gewurztraminer - goes fabulously well with Carrs Melts and a nice Camanbert!!!
Really, how does drinking wine of any kind equate with equality with the poorest who can't afford wine.
Shouldn't any good communist be living on a minimum requirement and giving the rest away in line with communist principles
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 09:37 AM

Tory MP John Redwood Says We Don’t Need European Wine, Cheese And Cars Post-Brexit
I agree, good for him that's the spirit
Why would anyone buy cheese made in Europe , we produce excellent cheeses in this country some of the best in the world.
There are better wines to be had from other parts of the world than Europe , I particularly like Australian and New Zealand wine when I can afford any.

My second hand car is a Ford, I guess the parts were made in various countries .

Even if I did prefer something from Europe which was no longer available to me I would manage without it, a small price to pay for leaving Europe.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

22-04-2017, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I agree, good for him that's the spirit
Why would anyone buy cheese made in Europe , we produce excellent cheeses in this country some of the best in the world.
There are better wines to be had from other parts of the world than Europe , I particularly like Australian and New Zealand wine when I can afford any.

My second hand car is a Ford, I guess the parts were made in various countries .

Even if I did prefer something from Europe which was no longer available to me I would manage without it, a small price to pay for leaving Europe.
That's the positive approach I am looking for. Well said Meg!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 09:47 AM

I hardly ever drink wine but when I do, I prefer Australian. French beer is like gnats pee and their apples are horrendous. I also avoid Spanish goods what with all that human manure they use on them.

Purwell mentioned in another post that we need to relive the spirit of 1945, so lets start growing our own vegetables in our gardens.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

22-04-2017, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I hardly ever drink wine but when I do, I prefer Australian. French beer is like gnats pee and their apples are horrendous. I also avoid Spanish goods what with all that human manure they use on them.

Purwell mentioned in another post that we need to relive the spirit of 1945, so lets start growing our own vegetables in our gardens.
You will never eat shop stuff again , if you do. Home grown ones always taste so much better.... I suspect it is because we pick them just before we use them.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top