Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 09:56 AM

Re: Tory MP John Redwood Says We Don’t Need European Wine, Cheese And Cars Post-Brexit

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
You will never eat shop stuff again , if you do. Home grown ones always taste so much better.... I suspect it is because we pick them just before we use them.
True and it would give us a sense of achievement rather than buying all that French muck.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 10:04 AM

Re: Tory MP John Redwood Says We Don’t Need European Wine, Cheese And Cars Post-Brexit

Oh dear Swimmy and Joe........
There's nothing stopping you Joe from going over to France and purchasing said items and cut out the middle man [The EU].....Bon Apertite....or whatever they say in France...

Swim, instead of analysing the past, why not post some good ideas about the way forward.
For a start, we could rid our fields of all the oil seed rape [which farmers get a good subsidy for from the EU] and the wind turbines [ I have no problem with wind turbines but lets keep them out in the sea] and grow crops like we used to.
Let's eat seasonal again. Put someone in the government in charge of figuring out what crops to grow and where..We could use the redundant MEP's...Take farms out of the hands of the large conglomerates and return them to family run businesses, providing local work. Make the supermarkets pay a penalty for each mile that they have to transport food and encourage them to buy British produce with tax breaks.
Let's try and become self sufficient again. Dig for Britain....Get an allotment and grow yer own. produce our own steel and engineering industries. Don't allow foreign ownership of our utilities, keep them 'In House'...Open up the coal mines [there is still enough coal down there for a thousand years] the old coal burning power stations like Drax can work with only a fraction of the pollution. Fracking is a must with all the untapped energy underground, but keep it British....No foreign investment or ownership, they don't give a monkey's about our environment, they are only in it for profit.
Sure, it might cost more in the early stages, and we might have to do without stuff that we are used to, but once established we will need to rely less on overseas suppliers and stupid trade rules and once again become the country of my grandfathers.

And Azz.....as well as segregating threads regarding Brexit inners and outers.....segregate negative doom and gloom merchants from the positively charged forward looking optimists like me and Twink.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
We should all adopt a positive approach to Brexit, if we want it to succeed. None of us are going to die if we don't get things from the EU, we just need to learn how to substitute other things.
Look on the bright side, if we don't import things from the EU, we will have less European lorries using our motorways....surely that will save money because there are motorway roadworks going on all the time.
Buy your cheese at a local farm, it always tastes better than the supermarket stuff!
Positivity usually breeds success!

That's the answer. Instead of whingeing and worrying, we should be positive. I am, anyway, whatever the prophets of doom assure us.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Oh dear Swimmy and Joe........
There's nothing stopping you Joe from going over to France and purchasing said items and cut out the middle man [The EU].....Bon Apertite....or whatever they say in France...

Swim, instead of analysing the past, why not post some good ideas about the way forward.
For a start, we could rid our fields of all the oil seed rape [which farmers get a good subsidy for from the EU] and the wind turbines [ I have no problem with wind turbines but lets keep them out in the sea] and grow crops like we used to.
Let's eat seasonal again. Put someone in the government in charge of figuring out what crops to grow and where..We could use the redundant MEP's...Take farms out of the hands of the large conglomerates and return them to family run businesses, providing local work. Make the supermarkets pay a penalty for each mile that they have to transport food and encourage them to buy British produce with tax breaks.
Let's try and become self sufficient again. Dig for Britain....Get an allotment and grow yer own. produce our own steel and engineering industries. Don't allow foreign ownership of our utilities, keep them 'In House'...Open up the coal mines [there is still enough coal down there for a thousand years] the old coal burning power stations like Drax can work with only a fraction of the pollution. Fracking is a must with all the untapped energy underground, but keep it British....No foreign investment or ownership, they don't give a monkey's about our environment, they are only in it for profit.
Sure, it might cost more in the early stages, and we might have to do without stuff that we are used to, but once established we will need to rely less on overseas suppliers and stupid trade rules and once again become the country of my grandfathers.

And Azz.....as well as segregating threads regarding Brexit inners and outers.....segregate negative doom and gloom merchants from the positively charged forward looking optimists like me and Twink.
Excellent points......

especially that last bit!
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 03:55 PM

John Redwood, odious as he is , has got it right.
British cheeses are far superior as are Japanese cars, I don't drink wine so don't care.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Excellent points......

especially that last bit!
Thanks JB, we are coming out of the EU and that's a fact, it's no good looking back to see what we should have done, we should use our energies now to start building a new and self governing Britain. Ideas on a postcard to:- Theresa May, 10 Downing Street.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-04-2017, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks JB, we are coming out of the EU and that's a fact, it's no good looking back to see what we should have done, we should use our energies now to start building a new and self governing Britain. Ideas on a postcard to:- Theresa May, 10 Downing Street.
Suggestion no. 1: Reduce or stop completely foreign aid.

Suggestion no. 2: Leave the ECHR as soon as we leave the EU, not three years afterwards.

Suggestion no. 3: Maintain the triple lock on pensions.

Suggestion no. 4: Inform the EU mandarins that we shall pay them nothing until we see their accounts signed off, and even then we should make counterclaims on them to the same value.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Suggestion no. 1: Reduce or stop completely foreign aid.

Suggestion no. 2: Leave the ECHR as soon as we leave the EU, not three years afterwards.

Suggestion no. 3: Maintain the triple lock on pensions.

Suggestion no. 4: Inform the EU mandarins that we shall pay them nothing until we see their accounts signed off, and even then we should make counterclaims on them to the same value.
Hi

Well the Triple lock has nothing to do with Brexit.

It is simply unaffordable.

We have not paid enough for our State Pensions anyway and it is totally unfair that they should be rising far more than the average income of those who still work.

It is, to my mind, completely wrong that Pensioners should be exempt and have a continually rising Income in real terms.

Pensions should be linked to the annual average income of those who work and that is all.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 08:20 PM

Oh no! I've just had an awful thought... it means l won't be able to buy my favourite French butter, President, in the future!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2017, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Oh no! I've just had an awful thought... it means l won't be able to buy my favourite French butter, President, in the future!
Calm down Art, I have an answer to that! We could take weekend "girls trips" to Ireland and stock up with Kerrygold. It may not be as sexy as the french but it is twice as tasty.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top