Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 09:19 AM

Re: Philip Hammond signals ditching of Tory 'no tax rise' pledge

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Somehow, forecast tells me that this General Election is about to become a bigger mandate for falling out (on here) than the referendum.

I'm waiting to hear why Unite have sacked one of their guys who was about to stand on opposition to McCluskey. and when McCluskey is likely to step into leader of the Labour party .
Len McCluskey, (ex Grammar School boy), is a despicable person and in his past life supported Militant Tendency. They brought Liverpool to it's knees along with Derek Hatton.
We must never forget what they are capable of and their packaging might change but the contents don't
I understand it is because Gerard Coyne who stood against McCluskey thought that too much time and energy was being expended in support of Corbyn to the detriment of of members of the Unite union up and down the country.
But isn't that typical of many Union leaders who preach equality while furthering their own ends.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Somehow, forecast tells me that this General Election is about to become a bigger mandate for falling out (on here) than the referendum.
I think you're right. I'll sit and chunter in a corner at home.

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Really, I haven't heard Phil Hammond say anything about 'swingeing tax rises' when he has been speaking just a desire not to have his hands tied on tax decisions made by the Cameron government.
He hasn't specifically. What he has indicated is that he doesn't like the constraints imposed upon him by promises made over Income Tax, NI or VAT.
Yet it reminds one of the little fiasco after the budget when the government had to make an embarrassing U-turn over the self-employed NI hike. I'd say that was a harbinger of future doom meself.

I also find it strange that people who said May had never been elected on any manifesto are now moaning that she has decided to have an election and have her own manifesto. There is no pleasing some people.
But there's two separate issues here.
May's riding high on a wave of hopeful optimism that she'll be up to handling Brexit for us. She's seen as something of the country's lucky mascot ... if only because Cameron walked and she volunteered to take on the very mucky, messy job of EU extraction.
Had she waited until 2020 for the General election she would doubtless have been judged by her success on that.

Calling an early election is back to party politics.
I don't like what I'm hearing so far from her. She just has no idea about the ordinary working man or woman.
If UJ wasn't already gleefully throwing insults around at who he dubs nasty scumbags supporters ( and starting to sound like flicker over Brexit) .. I'd say I'm thinking of voting Labour simply because they've indicated they will honour a Triple Lock.

I'm getting to the age where I don't care if the country gets in a mess through overspending ... it'll just shunt it down the line to the next generation to have to deal with.
I am thinking first of .. Me.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->

I don't like what I'm hearing so far from her. She just has no idea about the ordinary working man or woman.
Or she wants to wash her hands of Brexit. They are not exactly setting themselves up for victory. I reckon they hope for a coalition so they can spread the blame when the so-called "bumpy" ride becomes a rollercoaster going off the rails into the sea.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 11:38 AM

I think you're right. I'll sit and chunter in a corner at home.

He hasn't specifically. What he has indicated is that he doesn't like the constraints imposed upon him by promises made over Income Tax, NI or VAT.
Yet it reminds one of the little fiasco after the budget when the government had to make an embarrassing U-turn over the self-employed NI hike. I'd say that was a harbinger of future doom meself.

But there's two separate issues here.
May's riding high on a wave of hopeful optimism that she'll be up to handling Brexit for us. She's seen as something of the country's lucky mascot ... if only because Cameron walked and she volunteered to take on the very mucky, messy job of EU extraction.
Had she waited until 2020 for the General election she would doubtless have been judged by her success on that.

If UJ wasn't already gleefully throwing insults around at who he dubs nasty scumbags supporters ( and starting to sound like flicker over Brexit) .. I'd say I'm thinking of voting Labour simply because they've indicated they will honour a Triple Lock.

I'm getting to the age where I don't care if the country gets in a mess through overspending ... it'll just shunt it down the line to the next generation to have to deal with.
I am thinking first of .. Me.

To the tune of Tannnenbaum: "We'll change the country bit by bit, so nobody will notice it ...."
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Or she wants to wash her hands of Brexit. They are not exactly setting themselves up for victory. I reckon they hope for a coalition so they can spread the blame when the so-called "bumpy" ride becomes a rollercoaster going off the rails into the sea.
A bit gloomy but nothing would surprise me with them lot.

Bottom line is I expect the British public understand there will be a bumpy ride and it'll be a case of damage limitation and how much the divorce costs.
What is a bitter pill to swallow is that there is supposed to be a carrot and a stick.
The carrot is not there, not for British people anyway ... it's reserved for other countries who winsomely ask us for Foreign Aid.
A mistake. It gives the impression she's more concerned with our charitable world image instead of using it to help buffer our own forthcoming rocky ride.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
What makes you think that Annie , I would have said the reverse is true. I think the option to raise taxes if need be during the transition years of leaving the EU is a sign of May taking precautions and a wise move.

There will be no coalition, there is no party with whom it would be possible to form one.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
What makes you think that Annie , I would have said the reverse is true. I think the option to raise taxes if need be during the transition years of leaving the EU is a sign of May taking precautions and a wise move.

There will be no coalition, there is no party with whom it would be possible to form one.
The coalition may not include Tories. Higher taxes were predicted by "project fear".... she was pro-remain after all. Perhaps she just wants to bow out and leave the hard brexit hot potato in someone else's hands.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

22-04-2017, 12:21 PM

A bit gloomy but nothing would surprise me with them lot.

Bottom line is I expect the British public understand there will be a bumpy ride and it'll be a case of damage limitation and how much the divorce costs.
What is a bitter pill to swallow is that there is supposed to be a carrot and a stick.
The carrot is not there, not for British people anyway ... it's reserved for other countries who winsomely ask us for Foreign Aid.
A mistake. It gives the impression she's more concerned with our charitable world image instead of using it to help buffer our own forthcoming rocky ride.
There are no carrots. There seems a general lack of innovative thinking about how to manage brexit (correct me if I am wrong and you've seen something inspired and positive come from the Tories on how we are going to manage the country going forward). The speech calling the election was incredibly gloomy. It was a cry for help maybe?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 12:50 PM

Nowt wrong with Tax Increases, provided they are proportional and across the board, throughout the Pleb/Toff spectrum. I.E if a Pleb has to stump up say 3% more of their nett income, so should a Toff, regardless of what this equates to in £'s Shillings and Pence.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

22-04-2017, 01:06 PM

Tax increases just lead to pressure on wages, prices and inflation. It doesn't "cure" the underlying problem just delays it.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top