Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 10:45 AM

Eye Care.

I wonder if anyone may have some ideas about eye care. My eyes are becoming quite dry, and when i awake i sem to produces, quite a lot of sleep in the corners of my eyes. I pt this down to the cocktail of medication i am on though age may play a part.

Any advice welcomed.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 10:50 AM

Re: Eye Care.

See an optician. We only get one pair of eyes. I know it`s not cheap but what price our eyes?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 11:00 AM

I see my optician for my diabetic care OG, and will keep it as an option and its free for myself.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 11:09 AM

Optrex Nom matey - get a bottle of Optrex and an eye bath. Pour a small amount into the eye bath every night and morning and bathe your eyes for abbout 5 minutes each.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I see my optician for my diabetic care OG, and will keep it as an option and its free for myself.
Oh yes diabetic retinopathy-are you making eyes at me??
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 11:56 AM

I think you should see your optician first Non, best to get advice from him/her especially in your case with all those medications you take.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 01:21 PM

Could be You're a wee bit de-hydrated Nom,try upping Your water intake...works for Me in the winter time when spending more time indoors with CH on.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 01:46 PM

Nom, I have a dry eye condition, caused by my diabetes and using my pc, and I use artificial tears called Blink intensive which you can get from Boots or often Opticians. They are mainly sterilized water and were recommended by an Optician, as they don't contain any preservative. They come in individual plastic containers , which hold drops for each eye, and they make them more comfortable.
If it is something you need a lot then your doctor may put them on your repeat prescriptions. I think they cost about £6 per box of 20, and there is enough in them for 2 drops per eye each day.
They are safe and I believe you can use them with contact lenses, if needed.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Nom, I have a dry eye condition, caused by my diabetes and using my pc, and I use artificial tears called Blink intensive which you can get from Boots or often Opticians. They are mainly sterilized water and were recommended by an Optician, as they don't contain any preservative. They come in individual plastic containers , which hold drops for each eye, and they make them more comfortable.
If it is something you need a lot then your doctor may put them on your repeat prescriptions. I think they cost about £6 per box of 20, and there is enough in them for 2 drops per eye each day.
They are safe and I believe you can use them with contact lenses, if needed.

Nom, I'm completely with Twink on this one.
I have had 'Dry Eye' for several years, and the doc lets me have my drops on prescription, I use one called 'Hylotear.'

https://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/hylo-tear/prd-qcu

Again, like Twinks, they have no preservatives. I think preservatives are OK very short term, but I do not think they are a good idea long term.

The eye dept at the hospital first gave me a bottle of these to try, that's how I found them.

I wouldn't leave it too long to try though, else the lens feels very sore and scratchy. Mine can even be a nuisance walking in the wind, or with the heater on in the car.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 04:12 PM

Nom, here is something else from the RNIB that you might find of interest.

http://www.rnib.org.uk/eye-health-ey...FSEG0wodTKQIyw

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top