Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 02:59 PM

Do you ever get frustrated

No, this not one of Tpin's saucy threads

I ran out of compost and bark chippings this morning, and needed some more to finish a job, so off I went to my local garden centre.
It has changed hands now, and almost all the lovely, knowledgeable people I knew there have left.
Anyhow the chap today couldn't answer my questions about bark chippings, so I wouldn't buy them and cursing, trundled a fair way off to another, much better place.

I got my bark chippings, an extra large grow bag, and 2 bags of John Innes No.3. A nice chap loaded them into my car for me. I appreciate this service nowadays, saves me struggling, but the only thing is, they are not allowed to go home with the customer to unload for them the other end, so you're stuck with a load of heavy bags in your car.
The way I saw it was I now had three choices:

1. Leave the damn things where they were.
2. Try to locate the sack barrow from under a ton of pots/containers/bags/ladders/compost in the shed.
3. Lay in wait, and accost a friendly neighbour as he went by.

So I went indoors, made a big mug of milky coffee and had a think.

I couldn't leave the bags in the car, I needed them.
The streets were deserted - typical when you could do with a bit of help.
So it looked like I'd have to dig out the sack barrow.

I have done it now, after a bit puffing and blowing, and plenty of hindrance from Nellie & Gertie trying to help - along with Liffey chasing the wheels of the barrow to get her three ha'peth in.

The point of this post is, however, do you ever get frustrated when you find the things you've always done are now a little harder, and take a little longer now?
Or worse still, are there some things you can't do at all anymore?

Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 03:02 PM

Re: Do you ever get frustrated

NO

EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 03:06 PM

Yep so many. For instance I can no longer run a mile in under four minutes, cover one hundred miles in under four hours on my bike, lift the back of a car off the ground, beat all of my sons at arm wrestling..gotta stop now i'm getting depressed.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Yep so many. For instance I can no longer run a mile in under four minutes, cover one hundred miles in under four hours on my bike, lift the back of a car off the ground, beat all of my sons at arm wrestling..gotta stop now i'm getting depressed.

Oh dear EZ, what we gonna do,

Mind you, my car don't need lifting thank you, but you could have helped me with the compost bags.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 03:11 PM

Ah no problem with those Mups. Or bags of sand or cement or even those hugely heavy bags of bark.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 03:24 PM

Yes....every 2nd Wednesday and 4th Friday.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 03:28 PM

I do get frustrated mainly when opening these vacuum packed food stuffs.
One should not need to be Arnold Swarzenegger in order to get into a packet of sea bass .
Otherwise things are going I cannot ride the horses I once rode even find lifting the saddle onto a tall horse quite exacting .
That's life I supose .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 03:47 PM

Mups I have the same problem with unloading sacks and I don't have a wheel barrow. I couldn't justify the expense of buying one.

Recently when I laid a gravel path around the new raised beds in the back garden I had to get 14 sacks of gravel up the drive/through the garage and kitchen/across the lawn.
In the end I got an old duvet, tipped a sack out of the car onto it and dragged it to the required spot . I won't be beaten if it if kills me ...
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 03:56 PM

Mups I think that most of us notice that we can't do things as easily as we used to, I regularly talk to an old school friend about the things that we now find more difficult.
I think the time to worry is when you stop trying to do them, as that means you have given up!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

23-04-2017, 03:58 PM

Oh dear, poor you Meg, that must have worn you out. I hope you were very proud of the result.

It is another sign of old age galloping towards us when we start sentences with . . . . "I remember when .. ", but I do.
I remember when a nearby farmer dropped me off a ton of hay for winter one year - and he did literally just 'drop' it off. I had to cart 40 + bales into the barn on my own and stack it, and I am only tiny. I can see it now . . when the bugger saw me getting a bit tired, he just sat on a bale in his trailer and gave me a bit more time!
I'd struggle with half a dozen now!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top