Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 09:32 AM

Re: I would love to know your thoughts on this!

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Perhaps that is a little TOO dramatic Ploppy, but I do feel that the people are getting stronger and want the parliament to listen to what they want. They can't meet all our needs, but I do feel that Local Mp's could hold polls, on big issues, to establish how their constituents feel... they are too distanced from the people they represent!
I was also thinking that Twink but our politicians don't like to be dictated to even though, as you say, they are OUR servants.

We have local elections soon but I don't have a clue who to vote for. I have never seen them or met them and if I did know what they are about, would it make any difference?
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 09:36 AM

When are you guys going to learn that all you can do is vote for parties or mp's? Have you tried praying yet?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
When are you guys going to learn that all you can do is vote for parties or mp's? Have you tried praying yet?
That is rubbish Ploppy, we can do a lot more and retired people, with too much time to spend sitting on their bums, could make a greater effort to let Mp's know that our vote will go elsewhere, if we feel that they don't listen to reasonable requests.
This is exactly what annoys me, we vote them in and just assume they know what their constituents want. They don't, so it is our duty to remind them!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
Into what?
The degradation and devastation that is communism, perhaps?

Alternatively he could lead us into some interesting eating places !
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
That is rubbish Ploppy, we can do a lot more and retired people, with too much time to spend sitting on their bums, could make a greater effort to let Mp's know that our vote will go elsewhere, if we feel that they don't listen to reasonable requests.
This is exactly what annoys me, we vote them in and just assume they know what their constituents want. They don't, so it is our duty to remind them!
When the Government announced that foreign Aid would not be cut, it sent me into a spin. I was all set to vote Tory as I believe they are the best party to lead us forward but that announcement made me question who I will vote for. Frustrated, I felt the need to inform the Tory party that they were making a big mistake, so I looked into contacting a local Tory MP or councillor to voice my opinion (not something I would normally bother to do). Basically I hit a brick wall. Because our local area is independent, I was unable to contact the Tories because they do not represent me (apparently).

So my only way of opposing their decision is not to vote for them it seems which seems ridiculous.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 10:06 AM

I'd like a General Election to choose the Prime Minister , separate local elections to choose your MP.
The MP's no matter which party they belong to could form the Government and any not voted in would be the Opposition.
That way you should get the best people for the job and PMQ' s hopefully would get answers instead of snipes at the opposition.
If the MP'S don't do their jobs we could chuck them out.
The thing that annoys me is that if your area doesn't have a member of the party you want to vote for as a candidate you can't vote for that party. May as well vote for the person who does their best for you.
Or, just have a vote for the party and if there is not an MP in your area they should put one in.
Sorry if that makes no sense but, it does to me!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

24-04-2017, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by tessa ->
i'd like a general election to choose the prime minister , separate local elections to choose your mp.
The mp's no matter which party they belong to could form the government and any not voted in would be the opposition.
That way you should get the best people for the job and pmq' s hopefully would get answers instead of snipes at the opposition.
If the mp's don't do their jobs we could chuck them out.
The thing that annoys me is that if your area doesn't have a member of the party you want to vote for as a candidate you can't vote for that party. May as well vote for the person who does their best for you.
Or, just have a vote for the party and if there is not an mp in your area they should put one in.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 10:18 AM

I think politics and local MP's are way down the list of priorities for the working man/woman Twink, and it's because of this lack of interest by most, that the same old parties manage to get re elected. Their supporters will turn out in force, but the rest are too busy going to work and trying to spend time with their loved ones in their spare time.

Us older and more mature members of society have more time to keep up to date with the media and see how our politicians are abusing their positions by not keeping in touch with the local electorate. Hence the vote to leave the EU, we are told by the media that it was mainly the older generation who voted for brexit, the younger generation probably couldn't give a monkey's.

Our voting system is as good as any Twink, but until you inspire people to take an interest the turnout is going to be poor. I suspect the turnout at the forthcoming general election might be higher, as it was with the EU referendum, because it's a hot topic at the moment. I shall meander down to the polling station and put down my mark, but I don't expect it to change the world. At least, not this bit that I live in....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I'd like a General Election to choose the Prime Minister , separate local elections to choose your MP.
The MP's no matter which party they belong to could form the Government and any not voted in would be the Opposition.
That way you should get the best people for the job and PMQ' s hopefully would get answers instead of snipes at the opposition.
If the MP'S don't do their jobs we could chuck them out.
Or, just have a vote for the party and if there is not an MP in your area they should put one in.
It makes sense to me also Tessa.
By putting all the MP's who failed to get a seat into the opposition it would make it more diverse in PMQ's and stop this 'Ganging up' of same party representatives.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 10:30 AM

We defiantly need a different voting system befitting of this century not the last.

Why not be really radical and get rid of all political parties and adversarial politics .

Anyone can stand as a representative for their area.
They put forward their views on a variety of issues , are voted for and the person with the most votes wins.

Once in parliament the MPs can put themselves forward to be Prime Minister and Parliament will make their choice. Those MPs with special interests eg health/defence/etc can put themselves forward for cabinet posts and again the MPs can vote for them.

There would be a fixed term for parliament, any MP can stand again and will be judged on their previous perfomance.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top