Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 10:33 AM

Re: I would love to know your thoughts on this!

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I'd like a General Election to choose the Prime Minister , separate local elections to choose your MP.
The MP's no matter which party they belong to could form the Government and any not voted in would be the Opposition.
That way you should get the best people for the job and PMQ' s hopefully would get answers instead of snipes at the opposition.
If the MP'S don't do their jobs we could chuck them out.
The thing that annoys me is that if your area doesn't have a member of the party you want to vote for as a candidate you can't vote for that party. May as well vote for the person who does their best for you.
Or, just have a vote for the party and if there is not an MP in your area they should put one in.
Sorry if that makes no sense but, it does to me!
It makes sense to me !
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 10:39 AM

I'd also like the Speaker, during PMQ' s to say, "Sorry, you did not answer the question, please do so" and "Ask a question, not point out minor achievements of the party you represent"!
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
They don't, so it is our duty to remind them!
Are you doing your duty, or just talking about it?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 11:18 AM

Julie , a safe seat is just because most people in that area vote for the same party and we can't change how people want to vote. Do you think proportional representation would help?
Proportional Representation would certainly work, but even more so I'd like to see the adoption of the Swiss system of legally binding referenda whenever a certain proportion of people demand one.

That would be a far more democratic system than voting for a party who immediately does a U-turn upon election.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Proportional Representation would certainly work, but even more so I'd like to see the adoption of the Swiss system of legally binding referenda whenever a certain proportion of people demand one.

That would be a far more democratic system than voting for a party who immediately does a U-turn upon election.
Don't be silly we aren't intelligent enough to be trusted like that, seems to be the general thoughts of anyone didn't agree with the last referendum.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
Are you doing your duty, or just talking about it?
Believe me, I write to my MP once or twice every year.If I do it too often she may add me to her spam files... but then I would be forced to attend her surgeries.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 11:58 AM

Believe me, I write to my MP once or twice every year.
And do you get a satisfactory reply or just a pat on the head for your troubles?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 12:11 PM

Believe me, I write to my MP once or twice every year.If I do it too often she may add me to her spam files... but then I would be forced to attend her surgeries.
You do know that you can go to House of Commons and "Lobby" your MP or even others including Ministers?
Not as easy as it used to be unfortunately, but I have done this in the past, when you walked in and gave the name of the MP you wanted to talk to and your name and address to the desk sergeant, who would pass it on to a messenger and if you were lucky the MP would come to see you in the lobby.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
And do you get a satisfactory reply or just a pat on the head for your troubles?
Well I managed to get a total reorganization of the Chemo Dept at my cancer hospital, and more staff!
I don't always complain, I did write to tell her that I was happy she had also voted to Leave the EU, and hoped she would support the countries decision thoroughly.
I also got her to investigate a man working at our local pharmacy, who was not employed by the pharmacy. The pharmacy denied all knowledge of him ( I think he was standing in for the pharmacist who should have been there, but took the day off.... as he was using his computer password). Unfortunately there was no video cam in the shop so we couldn't prove it.... and the pharmacy was bought out by another company a few weeks later.
I don't think any of those could be called a pat on the head!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-04-2017, 12:19 PM

Well I managed to get a total reorganization of the Chemo Dept at my cancer hospital, and more staff!
I don't always complain, I did write to tell her that I was happy she had also voted to Leave the EU, and hoped she would support the countries decision thoroughly.
I also got her to investigate a man working at our local pharmacy, who was not employed by the pharmacy. The pharmacy denied all knowledge of him ( I think he was standing in for the pharmacist who should have been there, but took the day off.... as he was using his computer password). Unfortunately there was no video cam in the shop so we couldn't prove it.... and the pharmacy was bought out by another company a few weeks later.
I don't think any of those could be called a pat on the head!
Well done twink I like to think new generations coming along will have that can do attitude too, it's up to all of us to make a decent society sounds like you are doing your bit.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top