Join for free
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2017, 07:42 PM

Irritating Proposals To Change The Voting System

It keeps cropping up - people claiming 16 year olds should get the vote. A line has to be drawn somewhere and 18 should remain it. 16 is too fecking young. Children should not be voting. I'm even hearing now advocates of lowering the age, claiming there should be a cut off point where old people should not be allowed to vote.

The same people seem to want voting to be compulsory. But if people aren't interested in politics, don't give a shizzle who gets in and know feck all about it, they shouldn't be forced. That would be stupid.

The same people seem to want voting to be as easy as possible, so kids can vote on their phones without them getting out of bed. Yet old people can make it to their nearest school, community centre or church hall. So why the hell can't da yoof? They've got from 7am till 10pm to do it. Failing that they can get a postal vote.

The same people seem to want those doing time in prison to get the vote (while they are inside).

In all cases it seems, people who want these changes, are those who support Labour, the Greens and the LibDims. Because they think kids, the lazy, the uninformed and jailbirds, will most likely vote for them - if they did vote.

But enough of what I think. What about you good folk?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2017, 07:54 PM

Re: Irritating Proposals To Change The Voting System

The elite will clearly see the benefit in voting potential of widening the vote to a demongraphic they know they can easily brainwash and steer. Simple as. Really voting should be limited to those above age 30yrs.

There is no democracy here, only a sham illusion. Wake up people.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2017, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
It keeps cropping up - people claiming 16 year olds should get the vote. A line has to be drawn somewhere and 18 should remain it. 16 is too fecking young. Children should not be voting. I'm even hearing now advocates of lowering the age, claiming there should be a cut off point where old people should not be allowed to vote.

The same people seem to want voting to be compulsory. But if people aren't interested in politics, don't give a shizzle who gets in and know feck all about it, they shouldn't be forced. That would be stupid.

The same people seem to want voting to be as easy as possible, so kids can vote on their phones without them getting out of bed. Yet old people can make it to their nearest school, community centre or church hall. So why the hell can't da yoof? They've got from 7am till 10pm to do it. Failing that they can get a postal vote.

The same people seem to want those doing time in prison to get the vote (while they are inside).

In all cases it seems, people who want these changes, are those who support Labour, the Greens and the LibDims. Because they think kids, the lazy, the uninformed and jailbirds, will most likely vote for them - if they did vote.

But enough of what I think. What about you good folk?
I totally agree.

And yes, the young are easily brain washed.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2017, 08:00 PM

Oh yeah, I meant to say, every time this comes up (I was listening to a couple just the other day, about lowering the vote to 16) and there seems to be a hell of a lot of support for these changes. But I'm curious what the public at large (currently) think.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2017, 08:47 PM

16... No
Seniors...Yes
Vote by phone or online...No
Prisoners...No

In other words I agree with you!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2017, 08:50 PM

While some may be mature enough at 16 many won't, but that's the same at 18 IMO I'd actually like all these things to be one age, voting, army, drinking, driving etc all one age, possibly 20.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2017, 09:04 PM

When did kids of sixteen become responsible adults, come to think of it, when did kids of eighteen become responsible.
21 is the the age to Drive, drink and vote.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2017, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
When did kids of sixteen become responsible adults, come to think of it, when did kids of eighteen become responsible.
21 is the the age to Drive, drink and vote.
Hi

Most can develop into responsible adults even though they started drinking at 16.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2017, 09:35 PM

I think some of us 'oldies' should have more confidence in young people.
Why shouldn't they vote at 16? Many young people are far more mature and aware than we were at the same age.
Some even produce babies at an even much younger age than 16!
Times are different, kids today are different and some even show more sense and reason than some of us 'oldies'!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2017, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I think some of us 'oldies' should have more confidence in young people.
Why shouldn't they vote at 16? Many young people are far more mature and aware than we were at the same age.
Some even produce babies at an even much younger age than 16!
Times are different, kids today are different and some even show more sense and reason than some of us 'oldies'!
I think that just demonstrates that they are not responsible Arty.....Drivers under the age of 21 account for almost half of all road accidents.....And drivers over 80 account for the other half......

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top