Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

08-05-2013, 06:32 AM

Is the Middle East best at respect and family life?

And yet another mystery - the middle eastern control of children, closeness of families and respect for the family and elderly. There is no doubt that all these take first place in Eastern life. Such a contrast to the west and dialogues appearing on other threads about out of control teenagers and children, lack of respect for elders and break up of family life. There must be something in the east that is working better than the west - perhaps it is the religion after all!

we find it so easy to criticize the east for many of their social and family practices but perhaps they do the family better than the west. We in the west seem to be out of control and getting back the control seems almost impossible - perhaps that is why those from the ME living amongst us find it difficult to mix with the west - they find our family relationships so hard to understand and accept?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2013, 07:32 AM

Re: Is the Middle East best at respect and family life?

You may be partly correct Davo but in many regards they are in the middle ages.........women are second class citizens, public beheading still practised, enforced marriages, the list goes on and on. Give me the western way any time !
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2013, 08:40 AM

When you look at a picture, in a gallery, an instant judgement is made about it's subject matter, when you get up close, and look at the detail, much is going on in the background, many themes, one picture, that is the world. The casual onlooker makes their initial judgement and moves on to the next painting, the critic gets an eyeglass out, and the beautiful picture is translated into a melee for example. It would seem all cultures have their good and bad facets, that's what makes this "rich tapestry" of a world we live in so interesting, heaven forbid this whole sharrabang ever gets standardized. Imo.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2013, 08:42 AM

They are not respectful they are scared to do anything else IMO, so depends if you like a fearful wife and family.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2013, 08:51 AM

Religion was invented to subjigate the masses, and it fulfils that premise very well in the middle east...for better or worse of course is just a matter of opinion..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2013, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
And yet another mystery - the middle eastern control of children, closeness of families and respect for the family and elderly.
Control is frequently all about fear and manipulation and has nothing to do with respect.

There must be something in the east that is working better than the west - perhaps it is the religion after all!
Really, not from where I am standing.
Religion for me means suppression /fear/hypocrisy and the world would be better of without any religion.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2013, 09:21 AM

And yet another mystery - the middle eastern control of children, closeness of families and respect for the family and elderly. There is no doubt that all these take first place in Eastern life. Such a contrast to the west and dialogues appearing on other threads about out of control teenagers and children, lack of respect for elders and break up of family life. There must be something in the east that is working better than the west - perhaps it is the religion after all!

we find it so easy to criticize the east for many of their social and family practices but perhaps they do the family better than the west. We in the west seem to be out of control and getting back the control seems almost impossible - perhaps that is why those from the ME living amongst us find it difficult to mix with the west - they find our family relationships so hard to understand and accept?

Is that why so many 'dissident' rabid Islamists determined to establish 'sharia' law by terror are young men and boys brought up in 'strict' Islamic families???
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2013, 09:34 AM

They are not true Muslims though, the faith I see around me is a peaceful one they want nothing of sharia law etc many have come here to escape it and just want to live their lives along side us.

Talking to the Muslims I have worked with over the years they actually are amazed just how alike their families are to mine. How what we want is very very similar.

It is only when state and religion mix that problems arise IMO. Religion can be a peaceful wonderful thing, but it becomes corrupted when state involves themselves and makes laws based on it.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

08-05-2013, 09:59 AM

It is only when state and religion mix that problems arise IMO. Religion can be a peaceful wonderful thing, but it becomes corrupted when state involves themselves and makes laws based on it.

well in many euro countries there is a strict divide between the state and religion but how do other states and religion mix things up - in an Islamic country the State follows strict Islamic law - they are not mixing things up they are all abiding by their own religious codes of conduct. We decide to separate state and religion - they don't who's to say who's right?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

08-05-2013, 10:14 AM

well in many euro countries there is a strict divide between the state and religion but how do other states and religion mix things up - in an Islamic country the State follows strict Islamic law - they are not mixing things up they are all abiding by their own religious codes of conduct. We decide to separate state and religion - they don't who's to say who's right?
As I see and practice my religion it should be a personal choice to follow the codes of conduct, I do things I would love to see others do as I see it as a better way of life but I would never want the law to tell anyone to do it, if it isn't voluntary it really doesn't count.

Religion should be holding us to higher ideals than the countries laws which should be just making those who don't chose to do so be a little respectful of others.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top