Join for free
Page 10 of 20 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 06:34 PM

Re: Win 10 worse than a blasted, pushy door to door salesman

Originally Posted by galty ->
Then use CCleaner works on 10.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
CCleaner does not delete the "protected" TIFs.

Windows Cleanup identifies them but also fails to delete them.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
CCleaner does not delete the "protected" TIFs.

Windows Cleanup identifies them but also fails to delete them.
Can you set up another Administrator account on your PC then boot up into that? If so, you should be able to delete any unwanted junk in your original account.

This is what I do with my PCs just in case `Cryptlocker` or some other type of ransomware manages to make it onto my machine (highly unlikely), I can boot into the alternate account and run any antivirus/malware software from there.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 07:14 PM

Quotes from MS posters:

Same issue here. Disc Cleanup tool is detecting 56.3 MB of Temporary Internet Files. When I actually view the folder, it's empty.
View files shows an empty folder. Show Hidden checked, Hide Protected unchecked and the folders and files shown do not add up to the file count in Disc Cleanup.

Those files are adding up daily (the amount not getting cleaned)
•My Temporary Internet Files (undeletable) have increased by 10MB in less than 48 hours (considering I barely browsed during this time).
•Have already tried cleaning with CCleaner with no success, never goes down below that amount.
•Have already tried booting to Safe Mode and yet Disk Cleanup still detects data, without having anything show up when viewing files within that folder.
•As mentioned already, no hidden data, and no protected OS files are showing up when enabling those options.
•IE temp files have already been cleared.
•Have also tried to wipe the free space, yet there is still data remaining (somewhere?)
A clean install does NOT seem to fix the issue.

Tried twice, everything seems fine and disc cleanup works as intended however at some point it stops deleting the temporary internet files and temporary files.

I have done a clean install 3 times now. Two times without installing anything else but Win 10 and updates for Win 10 and the issue persist.
I have two User Accts ... one Local (Admin - Use this 99% of the time) and one using my MS email acct (Admin)

Disk Cleanup: Will not delete on either user acct. Size remains the same.

Local Acct = 7.14 GB Temp Internet Files

MS Email Acct = 16 MB Temp Internet Files
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2016, 10:17 PM

My first wife has just - inadvertently! - upgraded to Windows 10 from W8.

She has, for some time now, been denying the nagging upgrade screen but this evening she accidentally (she thinks) clicked the accept button.

Too late!

About two hours later (she's going out to choir anyway) it seems to have finished so when she got back she, with much trepidation, clicked the appropriate button and, very slowly, it came up with some welcoming messages, including:

"Your files are all where you left them"!

After all the scare stories (no, not those scare stories!) she was convinced that she'd lose them all. Anyway, after a few minutes the desktop appeared with, surprise surprise, all her original icons just where she left them!

I must say that I was very impressed how easy and successful the operation was, after all I have heard. So, for those who are still dithering, I hope this success story has helped to put your minds at rest.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
My first wife has just - inadvertently! - upgraded to Windows 10 from W8.

She has, for some time now, been denying the nagging upgrade screen but this evening she accidentally (she thinks) clicked the accept button.

Too late!

About two hours later (she's going out to choir anyway) it seems to have finished so when she got back she, with much trepidation, clicked the appropriate button and, very slowly, it came up with some welcoming messages, including:

"Your files are all where you left them"!

After all the scare stories (no, not those scare stories!) she was convinced that she'd lose them all. Anyway, after a few minutes the desktop appeared with, surprise surprise, all her original icons just where she left them!

I must say that I was very impressed how easy and successful the operation was, after all I have heard. So, for those who are still dithering, I hope this success story has helped to put your minds at rest.
Spot on sunshine.

I found that out as your wife did....couple of little niggles about 10(but got round them) its a lot better than 7.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 09:56 AM

Nope not one bit. Your wife has performed an update she didn't want and has effectively been bullied into taking it. That's wrong on every level.

Whether the update runs without problems is not TBH the real issue at stake. The issue is what future changes are now coming your way as a result of you having W10. Those future changes will suit Microsoft, not you the user.

Either way, the way in which you have had to take W10 is appalling and it's not something to be promoting imo.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Nope not one bit. Your wife has performed an update she didn't want and has effectively been bullied into taking it. That's wrong on every level.

Whether the update runs without problems is not TBH the real issue at stake. The issue is what future changes are now coming your way as a result of you having W10. Those future changes will suit Microsoft, not you the user.

Either way, the way in which you have had to take W10 is appalling and it's not something to be promoting imo.
Oh I agree with you on the principle of underhand persuasion.

Their latest trick is to surreptitiously play about with the notification pop-up. Apparently the red cross, universally known to be for cancelling or closing a page, was changed to indicate acceptance. So when my wife clicked it to get rid of the pop-up, it began to install Windows 10.

Now if that's not sneaky - perhaps bordering on illegal - I don't know what is.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 11:06 AM

Oh I agree with you on the principle of underhand persuasion.

Their latest trick is to surreptitiously play about with the notification pop-up. Apparently the red cross, universally known to be for cancelling or closing a page, was changed to indicate acceptance. So when my wife clicked it to get rid of the pop-up, it began to install Windows 10.

Now if that's not sneaky - perhaps bordering on illegal - I don't know what is.
Darn, I have the link copied but you beat me to it. Won't waste the link so here it is ...

Microsoft accused of Windows 10 upgrade 'nasty trick'

How they could do such a thing is beyond me. Whoever decided to implement it should lose his job. This kind of thing will turn people against Microsoft like no other.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

25-05-2016, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Darn, I have the link copied but you beat me to it. Won't waste the link so here it is ...

How they could do such a thing is beyond me. Whoever decided to implement it should lose his job. This kind of thing will turn people against Microsoft like no other.
Yes, that's the one. Microsoft is becoming like Dopey Dave day by day!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->

Blooming hec that's awful! I can't believe they have the gall to do that
So if people click on the X it shoves W10 at you. How do people get rid of the pop up then?

Page 10 of 20 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top