Join for free
Page 4 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2017, 02:10 PM

Re: Self-defence for the older person

I use to do Shotokan Karate in the early 80's for about 3 years i got to be a Purple belt, and i still do kicks and punches now just to keep my agility and senses strong. So if i was attacked i would have a go i suppose or run for it
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2017, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
How old is `old` and what defines self defence?.. I reminded of someone I met on the internet,and then met in `real life` He was ex army and walked with a stick,due to a couple of bullets he took.

He did not look `scary`quite the opposite,a very quiet and polite man in his then 50s. One day three youths picked on him. 3-1 and them much younger and ostensibly fitter. The police gave him a hard time,accused him of assault. Well he did train with the SAS.
Reminds me of an argument I once witnessed between a twenty-something driver and an elderly gentleman. The driver jumped out of his car and went steaming over to the man swearing and shouting right in his face. The elderly man grabbed him by the neck and held him against the wall threatening to punch him in the face. The young driver suddenly went quiet.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2017, 06:56 PM

I always carry a can of Deep Heat with me.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2017, 07:56 PM

I remember reading once that ladies should pee on a would be rapist as it seems to put them off...

Although I have read that shouting 'fire' raises more attention than help as people want to check it isnt their property thats being damaged!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2017, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Hmm there was the case of the old chap who was mugged in the train he was collecting for some charity.
He drew his walking stick ( it was in fact a sword stick ) and defended himself.
The mugger was injured and the old chap was taken to court for GBH.
I think it's disgusting when the courts take the side of the criminal over that of the victim.

Yes, of course I don't know all the details of these instances, but it definitely sounds like some have more 'human rights' than others.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2017, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Hmm there was the case of the old chap who was mugged in the train he was collecting for some charity.
He drew his walking stick ( it was in fact a sword stick ) and defended himself.
The mugger was injured and the old chap was taken to court for GBH.
We're not allowed to carry any sort of weapon. Only criminals are allowed to do that, I'm afraid.

However, you can legally carry a tub of pepper or a nice aerosol of hair spray!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

01-06-2017, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I was taught a lot of techniques by a Aikido /Judo sansei as part of a warm down after training.
Although they may be very effective, I doubt that they could compare with Llapp Goch.

I may have mentioned that on here before, but it is really based on 'timing'.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2017, 08:46 PM

No way would I attempt to retaliate, even if I was taught what to do.

Possibly, if you spend a lifetime learning martial arts, you MIGHT be able to respond usefully but how many of us would be ready ?

Years ago, when I was dragged down an alley at night, I was so shocked I just went with it and when I gathered myself together let out an amazingly deep, long yell ... he wasn't expecting that (neither was I) no idea where it came from but that produced a result.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2017, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
No way would I attempt to retaliate, even if I was taught what to do.

Possibly, if you spend a lifetime learning martial arts, you MIGHT be able to respond usefully but how many of us would be ready ?

Years ago, when I was dragged down an alley at night, I was so shocked I just went with it and when I gathered myself together let out an amazingly deep, long yell ... he wasn't expecting that (neither was I) no idea where it came from but that produced a result.

I'm inclined to agree with that Rachel. Not sure I could think and act quick enough anyway, because we'd be in shock I should imagine.
Let's just hope we never have to find out ey.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2017, 11:09 PM

There's no flippin' way anyone is going to get away with taking things that are mine or trying to do anything to my body!
I'll bite, scratch and kick 'em! It'll probably hurt me more than it does them but, I will fight if I have to! Grrrr!

Page 4 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top