Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2017, 11:00 PM

Re: malware

Originally Posted by Marion ->
I aren't very techno minded, but can anyone suggest the best free malaware please?
Malwarebytes (Free).

Assuming you meant anti-malware products, of course. Malware is invariably free to anyone who unwittingly downloads it!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2017, 11:08 PM

JB when you scan, do you have 'rootkits' scan on in Malwarebytes?
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2017, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Do yours all fall off the backs of lorries, then?
Not at all.....search Linux
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2017, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
JB when you scan, do you have 'rootkits' scan on in Malwarebytes?
To be honest, I've never noticed. I just run the scan as normally presented. In fact, I don't think there are many options in the free version.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-10-2017, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
Not at all.....search Linux
Yes, I know. Just my typically British humour.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2017, 12:23 AM

Most of the supposed threats out there are made up by the companies trying to sell anti virus software. It is nowhere near as dangerous out there as they would have us believe.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2017, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, I know. Just my typically British humour.
You know.......................and you still pay for an inferior operating system ?

Not so smart then.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2017, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
We have an iMac and iPad...say no more.
http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac...tware-3454926/

The Mac is generally considered to be safe and secure, and there are a number of reasons why Macs are considered more secure than PCs. Malware writers are less likely to target Mac users because of the perception that it has a far smaller market share than Windows. There is also the fact that the Mac operating system is Unix-based, and Unix offers a number of security features built in.

In addition, Apple has included a number of security measures that make attacking a Mac particularly challenging. These include Gatekeeper, which blocks any software than hasn't been digitally signed and approved by Apple from running on your Mac without your agreement.

However, there are still risks and from time to time Macs have become targets. In fact a report has recently claimed that 2017 has seen a 230% rise in Mac malware. The report, by Malwarebytes, said too that the App Store for Mac is being overcome by scam software, a previously relatively small issue.

Examples of Mac malware

Despite Apple's best efforts, Mac malware does exist, e.g.

OSX/Dok
Security analysis firm CheckPoint Software Technologies spotted a new OS X malware at the end of April 2017.

Apple rushed to block it.

The macOS Trojan horse appeared to be able to bypass Apple’s protections and could hijack all traffic entering and leaving a Mac without a user’s knowledge - even traffic on SSL-TLS encrypted connections.

OSX/Dok was even signed with a valid developer certificate (authenticated by Apple) according to CheckPoint’s blog post. It is likely that the hackers accessed a legitimate developers’ account and used that certificate. Because the malware had a certificate, macOS’s Gatekeeper would have recognized the app as legitimate, and therefore not prevented its execution. Apple has since revoked that developer certificate and updated XProtect, it’s malware signature system.

The attacker could gain access to all victim communication by redirecting traffic through a malicious proxy server.

See article for more examples
Knowledgeable Apple users, such as yourself, may keep themselves malware-free but others, seemingly, may not .....
Bruv
Kent UK

03-10-2017, 10:38 AM

Linux is a Unix clone.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2017, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Most of the supposed threats out there are made up by the companies trying to sell anti virus software. It is nowhere near as dangerous out there as they would have us believe.
I think that there are some false positives thrown up by trial versions of AntiVirus Software.

This may be due to the depth of the scan which they actually carry out.

However, I recently heard a speaker claiming that Potentially Unwanted Programs, or "PUPS", as highlighted by Malwarebytes, for example, are not an issue and should be ignored.

Anyone thinking PUPS are not important should read this article:-

https://www.howtogeek.com/232791/pup...anted-program/

It shows that they can be very dangerous indeed!

Note: No jokes about PUPS in the context of being doggy jokes, please!

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top