Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 11:01 PM

Winter Blues

Does anyone else get this? Most years since my teens I've felt more down as the nights get longer and the leaves start to fall. Some years haven't been too bad, particularly when I've spent enough time outside and it's been sunny. But it's hit me this week. The early darkness, the gloomy mornings, the grim weather combined with the darkness. The eery glow of streetlights. Did I mention the darkness?

Is it just me who feels this way? Some people love this time of year. Time to dig my lightbox out....
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 10:20 AM

Re: Winter Blues

It's a recognised condition

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seas...ctive_disorder

I used to dog walk with a lass who had it, she got one of those lights that mimicked sunlight and it really did help her
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 11:28 AM

My neighbor has it. She says by the time other people are slicing the turkey she's ready to slice her wrists...
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 03:56 PM

It's not something I've ever suffered from; my worst month is May (also the month when suicides peak).
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 04:02 PM

Yes it's a horrible doom ridden feeling the year dying I hate the dark and grim .
Then comes the dreaded Christmas when we are supposed to be happy ..
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 11:51 PM

The best thing about Christmas though is that after the 21st or 22nd the days start to get longer. It's the 3 weeks leading up to it that are the worst. I usually try to get a winter-sun break to the Canaries then and just soak up vitamin D by the pool.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2017, 12:10 AM

I agree with you about the lights start getting lighter after Christmas, that thought always cheers me too.

You are the second person today who has said about feeling a bit drained at the mo. I must say I am quite surprised, because I thought this feeling was more usual during February, when the winter seems to have dragged on forever, and we have had no warmth in the sun for months.

I can get a bit low when we have a run of these 'grey days', where the clouds don't break day after day, I really don't like that.

What I never understand though, is when everywhere is so grey, damp, cold, dark and dismal, what to all the clothes shop stock? . . . loads of grey, navy or black clothes!
Why do people wear such awful drab colours in the winter, except for Christmas some people choose reds and greens and golds etc.
I find seeing all those awful dreary colours, on equally dreary days quite depressing.

Hope you feel perkier soon, Annie.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2017, 01:26 AM

I don't mind the winter coming and look forward to Halloween, bonfire night and especially Christmas. Its just a matter of wearing the right clothes, warm and bright.
The time I absolutely hate is new year. Its sad and depressing but I cannot explain why I've always felt that. Even thinking about it now makes me uncomfortable.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2017, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I don't mind the winter coming and look forward to Halloween, bonfire night and especially Christmas. Its just a matter of wearing the right clothes, warm and bright.
The time I absolutely hate is new year. Its sad and depressing but I cannot explain why I've always felt that. Even thinking about it now makes me uncomfortable.
Im another one who loves autumn /winter crunchy leaves , stews , hot puddings , Christmas etc but cant stand new year..

For me its a date change not a holiday.. I cant stand the wave of self loathing it brings to many people too.. New years resolutions always seem to be about finding fault with yourself eat less, sport more, dont drink ,dont smoke, its hard to believe a week before everyone was having fun at the Christmas party!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2017, 08:30 AM

I don't have the condition S.A.D but find autumn and winter depressing and can't wait for January 1st when I feel we part way through the dark days and there is a hope of Spring.

I used not to feel this way, it is only since I got older and aware of my mortality.

I try to make the best of every bright winter day by getting out into the light either walking or in the garden .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top