Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 06:14 PM

Re: Should I or shouldn’t I ?

I wouldn't be having one with bath oils in it if I had mobility problems

Why not wait till you have a friend around and see if you can et in and out ( practice fully clothed to spare blushes ) or practice on your own the same, just have your phone at hand in case you get stuck and need help

If you do manage in and out and decide to go for the soak, make sure you have a non slip mat beside the bath and if at all possible put a sturdy chair beside the bath with towels on it and a robe and phone. The chair can help you get out by giving you something to hold on to. The towels and robe are in case you do need help, pull the plug, make the call, and spare your blushes
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
To answer your question I wouldn't risk it personally. I had to go and help a neighbour who couldn't get out of the bath a few years ago it was dreadful for the poor man and I wasn't too impressed either.

You can get bath lifts that get you out I am sure, they offered my dad one when he was ill but he preferred to go to the hospice and use their walk in one instead.

Yes I got one for my Mum. It is really simple and you just just use a remote like your telly, Zuleika.

You can press the buttons to get the seat settled over the floor, sit yourself down, and press more buttons. This will make it life you up and over the side of the bath, then gently lower you down into the water. Then just reverse the procedure to get out again.
Mum was late 80's but got the hang of it fine until she became even more ill.
Bobby Àmericano
AMERICA
Bobby Àmericano is male  Bobby Àmericano has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 06:36 PM

Sorry, Z., for my glib first reply. I didn't understand the chronic mobility issue. Looks like the gals all have good suggestions.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 06:43 PM

I had my bath and shower over the bath taken out, because I wasn't able to raise my leg high enough to step into the bath. I receved a government grant, to have a wet-room shower cabinet installed. It has a seat, so I can sit comfortably and shower.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 09:19 PM

I bought the bath chair a while ago. However, when lowered it does take up a lot of room on the base so you need plenty of water to cover yourself. That’s why I continue to shower and sometimes sit on this chair.

Handy for standing the puppy on to wipe her bum or paws.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2018, 12:29 AM

Thank you all for the opinions and suggestions .
I know I won't take the risk of trying take a bath while alone .
As for my holiday it's not for another month.
There's a walk in shower in place as well as a hot tub so I guess I'll have to be content with that .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2018, 08:02 AM

What a good idea a walk in bath centre for people to use.
My grandmother used to recount how as a girl they would go to the bathhouse to take a bath once a week they had to take their own towels .
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2018, 08:27 AM

Yes. I used to go to the steamy once a week when I didn't have a boiler. Only for a few months. Closed now (it was one of the last still open in the London area). Now a Leisure Centre.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2018, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Thank you all for the opinions and suggestions .
I know I won't take the risk of trying take a bath while alone .
As for my holiday it's not for another month.
There's a walk in shower in place as well as a hot tub so I guess I'll have to be content with that .
We went to a lodge which was equipped for disabled people. It had a walk in shower for my husband to use, but I have to say if you cannot take a bath alone I imagine you won't be able to use the hot tub I'm afraid. I found it quite to challenge to get in and out of one without help.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top