Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 08:37 PM

Re: The beginning, middle or End?.......or none of the above!

Young Robert what about this
https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...erse/23391541/
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Young Robert what about this
https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...erse/23391541/
Thank you for the link, I may well be on to something big
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2018, 12:03 AM

Hi, Robert!

You are on to one of several theories that have been considered, one of which is that our universe is singular and others that proposed in which we are part of a multiverse.

The most prominent theory of late begins with the Big Bang singularity (in which there was neither time nor space), but now there is a theory that offers that it goes back infinitely and continues infinitely to your idea that everything has always been - changing, but there.

There are theories that the system recycles universes and others in which there are multiverses, which I will touch on later if you are interested.

Cosmology, the study of the origin and development of the universe(s), a subfield of astronomy, is part of the work of which I have been involved with in astronomy. There are many ideas including this one to consider which is an alternative to your very interesting theory:

Our universe might be a hologram - actually a two dimensional universe that is seen in a three (or four including space) projectiom, meaning that everything we see, do, and experience is an illusion. While this might initially seem illogical, it could resolve the inconsistencies between quantum theory and gravity.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2018, 09:10 AM

Surfermom, thank you for your fulsome answer, expressed in simple terms. Well simple in that I may have to get out my Funk & Wagnell U.S. version to understand some words.

I appreciate the time you have taken to post & also for adding some gravitas to the thread.

Would you like to express an opinion on which of the theories listed by you, am I nearest to, given that you have expressed yourself in a much more concise manner?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2018, 10:38 AM

Sometimes when we dream, we can create a series of memories within the dream that seem very real. (Imagine dreaming that you were climbing Everest and thinking to yourself 'well it's not the first time I have climbed it, I did it last year and the year before). In fact, You have never climbed it.

So if our brains can create false memories when we are asleep, why not when we are awake. Perhaps yesterday never happened, we just think it did.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

23-03-2018, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Sometimes when we dream, we can create a series of memories within the dream that seem very real. (Imagine dreaming that you were climbing Everest and thinking to yourself 'well it's not the first time I have climbed it, I did it last year and the year before). In fact, You have never climbed it.

So if our brains can create false memories when we are asleep, why not when we are awake. Perhaps yesterday never happened, we just think it did.
Thanks very much Longdogs for that. I have a lot of thinking to do & plenty to ponder.

Or did I just say that?

BTW the reality that you describe in dreams is very poignant for me for when I was ill in hospital in 2008, I experienced horrific hallucinations. This lastest for 4 days & it WAS REAL to me. Reality & hallucination were inseparable.
I saw police and soldiers, helicopters (in the ward) assassins spacemen and all the while there were grannies sat on top of the curtains. Least troubling were hundreds of dwarfs hiding under my bed struggling to stop being hoisted up by helium-filled balloons tied to them.

Given these situations, it seems entirely possible that we have got it all wrong.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2018, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Thanks very much Longdogs for that. I have a lot of thinking to do & plenty to ponder.

Or did I just say that?

BTW the reality that you describe in dreams is very poignant for me for when I was ill in hospital in 2008, I experienced horrific hallucinations. This lastest for 4 days & it WAS REAL to me. Reality & hallucination were inseparable.
I saw police and soldiers, helicopters (in the ward) assassins spacemen and all the while there were grannies sat on top of the curtains. Least troubling were hundreds of dwarfs hiding under my bed struggling to stop being hoisted up by helium-filled balloons tied to them.

Given these situations, it seems entirely possible that we have got it all wrong.
That must have been very frightening Robert, not being able to differentiate between dreams and reality. I can't imagine how scary that was. It's bad enough remembering a nightmare.

The good thing is, I think the grannies on the curtains were just the OFF ladies come to wish you well.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2018, 08:41 PM

Hi

I am a Scientist and also a Christian.

I do not believe in the Bible and it's explanation of Creation.

I no more believe in God creating Earth in six days than I believe that I would win the next Miss World Competition.

I also cannot believe our current explanation of the Universe.

In the beginning there was nothing and it exploded.

Neither are in anyway logical.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

23-03-2018, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I am a Scientist and also a Christian.

I do not believe in the Bible and it's explanation of Creation.

I no more believe in God creating Earth in six days than I believe that I would win the next Miss World Competition.

I also cannot believe our current explanation of the Universe.

In the beginning, there was nothing and it exploded.

Neither are in anyway logical.

Swimfeeders, thanks for your very honest post.

So many questions, so many unanswerable issues,

As for myself, I have avoided the religous aspects of this subject purposely.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2018, 09:35 PM

All good thoughts here. Robert, I am driving half way across the U.S. tomorrow to see my family, so I beg your patience for a few days. I am thinking about your theory, which is as valid as any other and will try to match a few theories to yours, which may actually work in a few different frameworks.

Swimfeeders, that big vast universe, or multiverse, or whatever it is defies logic all over the place. Eintstein's General Relativity neatly explains the big astronomical scales including gravity, but go small - subatomically small - where quantum physics rules, and general relativity mathematics doesn't explain what is going on.

Einstein died never finding the Universal Theory that would work for both the astronomical and subatomic worlds. In other words there is still no logical universal theory that explains how the biggest and smallest objects in the world both behave.

Consider how much quantum mechanics is based on probabilities - if you know where a subatomic particle is - then you can't know it's velocity. You have to guess. Conversely, if you know it's velocity then you have to guess its location. This is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. Doesn't that sound as much like faith as logic?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top