Join for free
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 09:12 AM

Re: The new passports (Post-Brexit)

Why is the English firm so expensive ?
Why can't they do it for less?

There is a petition here is anyone is interested .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tish-firm.html

I have actually written to my MP re this issue .
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I will repeat.

This has naff all to do with the EU Rules.

Any Free Trade Agreement we sign in the Future will relate to Manufactured Goods.

This includes Passports.

There is a 100% get out on both EU and WTO Rules as regards National Security.

The award of this Contract has absolutely Naff All to do with the EU, In our Out, it is entirely a Political decision made by our Government.

I find it disgusting, but we cannot blame the EU for it.

In a Nutshell it is down to Theresa May, nobody else.

She had the right to Veto it, on the grounds of National Security.

She has chosen not to.
It's a result of the competitive tendering rules and that is an EU requirement so not quite 'naff all' to do with the EU.

As you say tho, there is a get out on the grounds of National Security. The French have invoked that and as a result British firms cannot bid for the french contract.

Personally, I would have thought that passport production is a National Security issue.

Also ref jobs. Not just jobs at Gateshead but there will be the spin off jobs lost such as Ink Manufacturing etc.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 10:05 AM

Hi

National Security is an absolute.

It overrides all EU Procurement Rules.

As you say, the French invoked it.

I disagree with you,we had no need to advertise it at all.

I am 100% in favour of leaving the EU.

What I will not do is blame them for our own stupidity.

We have 600,000 illegals here, we could have kicked them out.

We chose not to.

Our fault, naff all to do with the EU,the ECHR or the ECJ, solely our choice.

We are still granting Asylum to members of the Muslim Brotherhood.

Nobody else is.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 10:12 AM

I see the government is having a rethink after the public outcry. Don't they understand that keeping the passport production in this country not only keeps people employed but those employed will be paying back the government in P.A.Y.E let alone the bit of extra money to spend again paying V.A.T
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 11:21 AM

Hardly any point in projecting Britain as global trader, (one of the oft used terms for wanting to leave), if we go all protectionist at the first opportunity.

As for De La Rue? Probably sour grapes because they didn't try hard enough. One of the disturbing things about the incestuous relationship with Europe is the ease with which trade is carried out and it has made us soft. It has taken the edge off Britain's competitiveness and will make more difficult to win orders form the rest of the world. we need to sharpen up
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I will repeat.

This has naff all to do with the EU Rules.

Any Free Trade Agreement we sign in the Future will relate to Manufactured Goods.

This includes Passports.

There is a 100% get out on both EU and WTO Rules as regards National Security.

The award of this Contract has absolutely Naff All to do with the EU, In our Out, it is entirely a Political decision made by our Government.

I find it disgusting, but we cannot blame the EU for it.

In a Nutshell it is down to Theresa May, nobody else.

She had the right to Veto it, on the grounds of National Security.

She has chosen not to.
Then we have to change her mind by protesting, loud and clear.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
Hardly any point in projecting Britain as global trader, (one of the oft used terms for wanting to leave), if we go all protectionist at the first opportunity.

As for De La Rue? Probably sour grapes because they didn't try hard enough. One of the disturbing things about the incestuous relationship with Europe is the ease with which trade is carried out and it has made us soft. It has taken the edge off Britain's competitiveness and will make more difficult to win orders form the rest of the world. we need to sharpen up
If you think that is being protectionist you should try shopping in France in some of the towns.

One supermarket we went in 95% of the shelves were marked up "Product of France".
Oh and not one marked up as product of England by the way, a couple marked up as product of Spain
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 11:47 AM

Hi

Passports are a very high security issue.

They need to be kept here in the UK.

Both Germany and France print their own because they invoke National Security.

It is simply another example of our own stupidity.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 12:53 PM

I don't understand the national security discussion when de la rue manufactures ID for countries around the world. They are a multinational with a head office in the UK and they print our new banknotes and export the same technology abroad. They have regional offices in China, India, the US, Dubai, Nigeria and Angola. They have employees in over 25 countries. They have been listed for about 80 years.

The market for their core business is shrinking rapidly due to technological changes. So they do need to go global because other parts of the world are still very reliant on hard cash. I am sure they were keen on this contract because they need to branch out into other areas.

Gemalto has its origins in the manufacture of smartcards and associated technology. It has about four times the number of employees and a large multinational presence. It has grown substantially in a short period of time being listed in 2000. It provides 30% of e passport to a large number of countries including the US and much of Europe. So it is an expert in this field.

I don't see the problem with choosing a global leader in e-passport technology which many other countries are using. This is such a non-brainer.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
If you think that is being protectionist you should try shopping in France in some of the towns.

One supermarket we went in 95% of the shelves were marked up "Product of France".
Oh and not one marked up as product of England by the way, a couple marked up as product of Spain
I appreciate France is very protectionist, it is a European tradition. However as I said before, if we espouse the cause of global trading we can hardly complain if some of our goods and services are produced abroad.

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top