Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 08:07 PM

David Austin roses

We bought two of them from a garden centre yesterday, in pots but only a couple of inches in height. After soaking, I attempted to remove them from the pots, the first by turning upside down then pulling out, the second by slitting the container. Both times the soil around the root completely fell away leaving me with a bare root.

I have planted them using the existing compost and some more of my own along with rose fertilizer. I'm just hoping they will be ok. If I had known that was going to happen, I would have bought bare root plants for less money.

Does anyone know when I should expect some growth? Is it just a case of waiting for some sun?

Thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 08:14 PM

Re: David Austin roses

LD David Austin rose have a good reputation. Odd about the soil falling away, I wonder if they had been intended to sell them as bare rooted and quickly potted them up.
I like bone meal for rooting new plants

Hopefully you will get a good show later when they have rooted and start to grow.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
LD David Austin rose have a good reputation. Odd about the soil falling away, I wonder if they had been intended to be bare rooted sales and were quickly potted up.

Hopefully you will get a good show later when they have rooted and start to grow.
That's what I am wondering Meg. I suspect that the garden centre bought them as bare root and just potted them for a quick sale. I have had them before and I know they are good quality.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 10:17 PM

I have always made a point of submerging newly purchased roses , still in the plastic containers, whether David Austin or any other roses, completely for an hour or two before attempting to remove and plant them out. Apart from giving them a good drink it also helps to bind the soil and rootball to minimise the disturbance. Always make sure the planting hole is at least twice the size of the rootball.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 10:18 PM

I know they are supposed to be great quality but only roses ever failed for us were these. Best ones we ever had were bare rooted from morrisons they grew like crazy and flowered beautifully.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 10:29 PM

I'm with Meg on this one..bone meal will get the root growth. Good luck with the repotting.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
LD David Austin rose have a good reputation. Odd about the soil falling away, I wonder if they had been intended to sell them as bare rooted and quickly potted them up.

I agree with Meg. I know the garden centre I used to use a lot used to do this with the D.A. roses, because one of the lad's there told me himself.
I suppose they make more profit buying them as bare roots, then sticking 'em in a pot before offering them for sale.
They couldn't have been potted up long dongles, else the roots would have filled th pot better.

I always use the Micorrhizal fungus for new roses.
I've got quite a few D.A. ones, they smell divine, but I do get a lot of black spot every summer, no matter how careful I am.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=191
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

15-03-2017, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
I have always made a point of submerging newly purchased roses , still in the plastic containers, whether David Austin or any other roses, completely for an hour or two before attempting to remove and plant them out. Apart from giving them a good drink it also helps to bind the soil and rootball to minimise the disturbance. Always make sure the planting hole is at least twice the size of the rootball.
Thanks EZ. I shall leave them longer next time.

Tbh, there were no roots as such, just one long one. I don't know if that's normal?

I dug a two foot wide hole and planted a 1" wide stalk.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 09:09 AM

Longdogs, not sure if you know but David Austin have a Facebook page where you can post any difficulties with their products and they will advise. It might be worth you telling them I know their roses are not cheap.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

16-03-2017, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Longdogs, not sure if you know but David Austin have a Facebook page where you can post any difficulties with their products and they will advise. It might be worth you telling them I know their roses are not cheap.
Thanks Summer. I wasn't aware of that. I will give it a try.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top