Join for free
Page 16 of 16 « First < 6 14 15 16
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 02:46 PM

Re: Should we ban cat ownership.

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Foxy I think Venator is either badly informed or maybe a bit too bigoted against cats!
In days gone by, when most cats were strays,they had to kill for food. They were frequently not neutered so reproduced at quite a good rate, because they thrived in a country that had a huge number of rats and mice.... catching birds wasn't so easy when they were hungry.
When people adopted cats as a pet, they often had them neutered ( especially the females) to prevent unwanted kittens. They were also fed, so the need to hunt became less, although the cat still retained it's hunting instinct in order to survive should the human stop feeding them. Maybe that makes them a little more intelligent than humans... because how would we cope if all the shops disappeared?

I don't know what he knows about wildlife, but the experts believe that where there is a threat to many species of wildlife, they have evolved to produce greater numbers of young.... and often give little care to the weaker ones thereby offering the strongest a better chance to survive. It is therefore reasonable to assume that the weaker may be caught by cats, and many other creatures ( it isn't just cats that kill small wildlife ). With these thoughts in mind, I would think that all creatures who hunt are encouraging the wildlife to get stronger and nature is about "survival of the fittest".
Of course we can't be sure that Venator does come from London, he could come from another continent where the wildlife were too stupid to deal with cats Either that or he may think he is God... so has the right to decide which species live or die.
Good post Twink.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Tuts at Venator! I have a feeling he owns a dog just a feeling

All pets enrich lives, my cats can't catch a feather by the way even a leaf blowing in the wind presents a major challenge.
Yes Summer, my cat Maddie is just the same.
Here she is being chased into the bushes by an irate Blackbird....

Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 12:26 AM

My cat is lovely and says hello and good morning, albeit with a somewhat limited vocabulary consisting of "meeow". He also warns and speaks to birds using the same terminology. On rare occasions he brings the product of his overnight labour to our back door. To suggest the need to deplete his existence is entirely unreasonable, especially as we are now vermin free.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

08-06-2017, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by dextrous63 ->
my cat is lovely and says hello and good morning, albeit with a somewhat limited vocabulary consisting of "meeow". He also warns and speaks to birds using the same terminology. On rare occasions he brings the product of his overnight labour to our back door. To suggest the need to deplete his existence is entirely unreasonable, especially as we are now vermin free.

Page 16 of 16 « First < 6 14 15 16

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top