Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 10:21 PM

Thailand , India and Asia

If anyone is going on holiday to the above places and other places that give elephant rides, please do not feed this terrible industry It is kept going by tourism .

The elephants are taken as babies from their mothers, and as soon as they are big enough the training starts.

It's called elephant crushing, and they subject them to physical violence, toture and starvation until they have crushed the spirit of the elephant and for the next 60 yrs or more, they suffer dreadful imprisonment with chains and bull hooks.

It's a difficult video to watch but we need to see what goes on behind the scenes of tourism.

Elephants are also starved to make them beg. People feed them any old rubbish, including plastic packages but people give money to see these elephants begging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzAdwj53OQc
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 10:26 PM

Re: Thailand , India and Asia

This is a video of Raju that was rescued about 3 years ago, after 50 yrs of begging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC0iOqaAAAQ
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 10:55 PM

Puddles, I won't view the video thanks, because I love elephants and I know it would upset me. However, I do entirely agree with you. I have read information on this before.
Once again, beautiful animals suffering at the greedy hands of man.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

08-01-2018, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Puddles, I won't view the video thanks, because I love elephants and I know it would upset me. However, I do entirely agree with you. I have read information on this before.
Once again, beautiful animals suffering at the greedy hands of man.
Mups, I fully understand and appreciate where you are coming from. I found it difficult to watch , and I'm probably more used to viewing some of these things than others are.

It's an horrific industry that needs to be acknowledge all over the world, and we need to inform our friends who travel also.

You may be pleased to know that in the last 35 mins, The New Jersey Senate has voted on a bill to ban exotic animal circus acts state-wide. It's passed 33-0 . Great news . Still waiting on the UK though !
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 08:20 AM

I'm going to Thailand in March and I promise you I will not even contemplate riding and elephant , I wouldn't abuse these beautiful creatures . Many years ago I went back packing there , I stood and watched these people climb on the back of an elephant as he walked towards and past me I looked into his eyes with the most beautiful eyelashes , as he passed me I felt the soft rumbling energy of his body ripple through me . Beautiful
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 02:56 PM

Puddle, we have been to India and Sri Lanka and elephant rides were offered in both these countries. we refused and walked to our destination but we were the only ones. We also declined camel rides in Egypt. I think the tour guide thought we were insane.

Personally I think the tour companies should do more to discourage this sort of thing.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

09-01-2018, 06:27 PM

Until recently, Trip Advisor was advertising these elephant rides in conjunctions with visits to the Temples. There was a bit of a rumpus made but I'm not sure if they still do advertise them as part of the 'experience'.

The same applies to the Temple elephants, they are also treated and kept in the most dreadful ways, controlled with bull hooks etc. and needles to say, the training (crushing) is still the same as everywhere else.

I think all airlines carrying passengers to these places should issue pamphlets on boarding the flights to all passengers, explaining the horror. Only will the horror end when the tourists stop contributing to the trade.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Until recently, Trip Advisor was advertising these elephant rides in conjunctions with visits to the Temples. There was a bit of a rumpus made but I'm not sure if they still do advertise them as part of the 'experience'.

The same applies to the Temple elephants, they are also treated and kept in the most dreadful ways, controlled with bull hooks etc. and needles to say, the training (crushing) is still the same as everywhere else.

I think all airlines carrying passengers to these places should issue pamphlets on boarding the flights to all passengers, explaining the horror. Only will the horror end when the tourists stop contributing to the trade.
I agree, they should.

We did visit the elephant sanctuary in Sri Lanka believing it to be a good thing but we were not impressed with that either.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2018, 03:48 AM

I really appreciate your good heart and empathy for the elephants, Puddle Duck. In general, I know about the mistreatment of many animals when it comes to trying to market to the tourist dollar, so I decline all excursions and activities that involve them - and tragically, there are a lot.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

10-01-2018, 08:53 AM

Susan m, I hope you really enjoy your holiday.. it surely will be a holiday of a lifetime.

@Longdogs . Did you go to Pinnawala Sanctuary ?

There are accounts that the elephants bathing in the river there, are chained to the bottom. Some of them into lying down position. It's not an elephant orphan sanctuary, it's just a money making project under a different name.
The swaying they do is psychosis brought on by stress, lack of space and unnatural conditions.

@Surfermom, thanks for your input. It's a terrible world we live with regard to animal cruelty. We can say now that certain areas in certain countries are becoming aware e.g. the bear bile farms in Asia. Although some are illegal the practice still continues. The same with bear baiting, particularly in the Soviet countries.
You probably know there are rescues being made all the time, and although as yet, most animals suffering are unable to be rescued due to various reasons such as practices being illegal and hidden away . Every rescue is one less animal suffering and a few more tears of happiness and relief shed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top