Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Canadian (sorry)
New Member!
Ontario, Canada
Canadian (sorry) is male 

11-01-2018, 03:20 AM

Re: Favourite Software?

Paint.net: a simple, free graphics program. I don't do much graphics and don't need to be bothered with layers and stuff. I use it for things like editing screenshots to crop and add things like circles around items with arrows and some text to explain a field or something. It can do more, like replace colours and stuff, but all I need is these sorts of basic features.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Canadian (sorry) ->
Paint.net: a simple, free graphics program. I don't do much graphics and don't need to be bothered with layers and stuff. I use it for things like editing screenshots to crop and add things like circles around items with arrows and some text to explain a field or something. It can do more, like replace colours and stuff, but all I need is these sorts of basic features.
I am much the same but I use a rather old program called Jasc Paintshop Pro - I think that was the last one they released before Corel bought the program off them - I think Corel sell still it as Paintshop Pro Photo but much updated. Originally shareware all the old Jasc versions are now available for free on the web.

Anyway that and Picasa do all the picture editing I need most of the time but Gimp is very clever and very powerful so a few times a year I have a play with it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Gimp is built around layers and masking as far as I can see. It is a much more sophisticated program than I need normally

Try some of the Youtube tutorials.

I am definitely not an expert on it - just don't use it enough, perhaps three times a year, but I was able to separate my grandkids from their background using it. For someone who uses it a lot it would be easy I think.

Thanks for the reply. I shall look into that.
Canadian (sorry)
New Member!
Ontario, Canada
Canadian (sorry) is male 

13-01-2018, 06:32 PM

I am much the same but I use a rather old program called Jasc Paintshop Pro - I think that was the last one they released before Corel bought the program off them - I think Corel sell still it as Paintshop Pro Photo but much updated. Originally shareware all the old Jasc versions are now available for free on the web.

Anyway that and Picasa do all the picture editing I need most of the time but Gimp is very clever and very powerful so a few times a year I have a play with it.
I used to use Paintshop Pro. That was when it had a trial period, and after awhile I had to start rolling back the date on the computer to start it, the set the current date again. That is when I eventually switched to Paint.Net - because it was the closest I found to Paintshop Pro, but free so I did not have to change dates. It gets regular updates, too.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2018, 09:07 PM

What a wonderful thread this is! I used to use Audacity many years ago and assumed it was only used on Windows XP - having seen this will certainly give it a try on my new PC...........same goes for the decrapifer programme!!
Thanks very much
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Canadian (sorry) ->
I used to use Paintshop Pro. That was when it had a trial period, and after awhile I had to start rolling back the date on the computer to start it, the set the current date again. That is when I eventually switched to Paint.Net - because it was the closest I found to Paintshop Pro, but free so I did not have to change dates. It gets regular updates, too.
The old versions of JASC Paintshop Pro are abandonware now (I like that expression) after the 30 day trial they just keep on working.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 03:58 PM

IrfanView - image viewer with some editing facilities
VLC - movie player
Freemake - video format converter
Adobe Elements - image editor
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 05:13 PM

Pages
iBook Author
Coconut Battery
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 12:20 AM

Have you tried Google Skymap on your phone? You just point it at a star or piece of sky and it tells you exactly what the stars are. Covers the whole visible sky no matter where in the world you are.
Yeah I'm aware of it on phones and iPads but I don't use such phones/tablets.

VLC excellent program though I wonder why you need an audio player as well?
I don't generally use Audio software however a few years ago, when it was cool to have funny voices on your Sat Nav like Yoda I decided to create my own voice set. So I downloaded Audacity for that and recorded all the directions one by one then sped up the playback and re-recorded.
Outcome was I created a "Benji Mouse" sat nav voice that is like a squeaky mouse, very comical and worked well.
Senex
California, USA
Senex is male  Senex has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Thanks for the reply. I shall look into that.
If the Youtube videos don't do it, there are also lots of instructional books available for GIMP.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top