Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 07:12 PM

Re: Are there benefits of eating organic food and being a veggie

Organic food certainly tastes better to me and I eat it when possible includings some vegetables I grow myself .

I rarely eat meat so vegetables are often the main feature of my meals.

I have Flahavens organic jumbo oats, no others match them for flavour . I also use organic flour to make my bread.

I take a lot of medication and don't want to add to the cocktail of chemicals going into my body by eating lots of food containing pesticides.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Organic food certainly tastes better to me and I eat it when possible includings some vegetables I grow myself .

I rarely eat meat so vegetables are often the main feature of my meals.

I have Flahavens organic jumbo oats, no others match them for flavour . I also use organic flour to make my bread.

I take a lot of medication and don't want to add to the cocktail of chemicals going into my body by eating lots of food containing pesticides.
I agree Meg, organic food is tastier and, if you grow it yourself and pick it shortly using, the taste is significantly better than anything you buy in the shops.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 07:46 PM

There's been many programmes where they debunk the idea that organic tastes nicer, in blind tastings no ones been the wiser

However I grow organic is as much as we don't use pesticides. The veg does taste nicer but that's because it's pulled out the ground and cooked, not sitting around for weeks
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Adanac ->
I think organic is a bunch of malarkey to get you to pay more. Giving everything a good scrub gets rid of anything on the outside.

I like my food and for me food is both veggie and meat. Mostly though chicken and pork and I restrict beef to twice a week. Several pieces of fruit a day, two veg with evening meal.

All my numbers are right where they should be. I could stand to lose a few pounds but I blame that on winter and not walking most days.

Sorry, but I don't really agree with you there, Adanac.

With regard to fruit, scrubbing the outside is not enough in a lot of cases. 45 different chemicals have been found in Apples alone! And what about soft fruits that you don't peel or scrub?

When potatoes are growing in the field and the farmer is going to harvest them, they 'spray the tops off'. Chemicals are sprayed all over the stems and flowers to kill the tops to make the spuds easier to get to. I think it is perfectly feasible for that chemical to travel down the stem and into the potato, so not much point in scrubbing the outside skin.

Soft fruits are the worse e.g. strawberries, raspberries, gooseberries etc. They are the most chemical laden fruit you can eat because you can't scrub them, don't peel them, and the chemicals used on them are absorbed straight into the fruit.

I think one reason why organic is dearer is because it takes more man power. Take eggs for example.
When hens were in cages, dropping their eggs conveniently into rows and rows of metal trays, all someone had to do was go along and empty the trays.
When the birds are out free ranging, they drop their eggs anywhere, and even make nests in undergrowth.
It must take time and more staff to search for and collect all these eggs. Plus the birds can only have organic feed and corn (which costs more), and no chemical wormers/louse treatments to comply with the authorities. These things have to reflect in the price of the eggs.

No doubt some chemicals are safer than others, but what I am convinced of most, is it is not ONE chemical we are talking about. I believe it is accumulation of, and the cocktail of chemicals we happily munch daily without giving it enough thought.

If anyone is interested, have a look at this link.
I believe it starts with apples, and if you then click on the little arrow to the right of the pictures, it goes on to the next chemical laden fruit/veg.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food...foods/?slide=2

My personal opinion is, it is not just what we eat anyway.
It multiplies with what we put on our skin and hair, what is in our household cleaning products etc. We are eating, drinking, inhaling and absorbing chemicals all the time, year in, year out.
And that's before we start gardening, and spraying the roses etc!
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 08:17 PM

You do make some good points there Mups. I know I cannot get rid of all the chemicals only some. I do buy organic Omega 3 eggs.

Also had a small garden last year and that was no pesticide. This year I will have to buy.

I think one of the worst things we can put in our body is canned anything, just reading labels sometimes makes me wince.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 08:47 PM

I'm not a veggie/vegan but most of My Family are and They swear by organic food too...no prob's to Me..except when We eat out in restaurants...jeeze..the fuss They make about everything,especially with there not being enough choices..I sometimes feel like giving Them a clip round the 'ear'ole and telling Them to be thankful for what They've got and to stop being such pains in the arse about food...and I'm healthier and less whingy than the lot of Them in spite of being a carnivore all of My Life
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
I'm not a veggie/vegan but most of My Family are and They swear by organic food too...no prob's to Me..except when We eat out in restaurants...jeeze..the fuss They make about everything,especially with there not being enough choices..I sometimes feel like giving Them a clip round the 'ear'ole and telling Them to be thankful for what They've got and to stop being such pains in the arse about food...and I'm healthier and less whingy than the lot of Them in spite of being a carnivore all of My Life
And Haggis is wonderful food May darlin'!!!
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
And Haggis is wonderful food May darlin'!!!
Too true UJ...but the funny thing about it is..half of Them smoke like chimneys...nutty or what!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Too true UJ...but the funny thing about it is..half of Them smoke like chimneys...nutty or what!

Haha, that made me chuckle May. Perhaps they haven't thought this through enough!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 10:47 PM

I did not climb to the very top of the food chain to eat bloody lettuce.
Meat rules ok

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top