Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 10:37 AM

Seed sowing

Has anyone started yet?

Do you grow much from seed or do you prefer to buy plugs?
Havy you a propagator or do you put seeds on the window sills or greenhouse?

I do buy some plugs, but I also like to grow a few things from seed too.
I usually grow my own Primroses/tomatoes/runner beans/cineraria/sweetpeas, and sometimes wallflowers too.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 11:10 AM

Re: Seed sowing

My wife started about 3 weeks ago, we have them in propagators etc on boards in front of windows so they get light. Cant put them in Greenhouse yet , cant get in and would need too much heat. She has Tomatoes and other flowers , Peas and beans will be later. They can then go in the Greenhouse with some heat on. we have to judge it right as we cant plant outside until middle of May. Then at least they get a lot of light as its nearly 24 daylight.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 11:21 AM

My imagination working overtime now. I can See Mups in a pinafore over a long dress, with a basket on her arm, over the veg plot . See her, she is away throwing seeds across the ground skipping and singing as she goes.

Song " spread he seeds, spread the seeds , and hope the grow, hope they grow"
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
My imagination working overtime now. I can See Mups in a pinafore over a long dress with a basket over the veg plot . So her she is singing away throwing seeds across the ground skipping and singing as she goes.

Song " spread he seeds, spread the seeds , and hope the grow hope they grow"

That's me! How did you know, Bazza?
You've been spying on me haven't you.

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 11:29 AM

I bought some runner beans yesterday but I will be planting them out later in the year. I would love to get into planting from seed but don't have a greenhouse (or the space for one). I suppose I could get one of those small plastic frame thingies. I do want to grow some pink fir apple potatoes later on but they are sometimes hard to find.

The monkey flower seeds that I sowed before Christmas are still going and getting bigger so will think about separating them soon.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

08-02-2018, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I bought some runner beans yesterday but I will be planting them out later in the year. I would love to get into planting from seed but don't have a greenhouse (or the space for one). I suppose I could get one of those small plastic frame thingies. I do want to grow some pink fir apple potatoes later on but they are sometimes hard to find.

The monkey flower seeds that I sowed before Christmas are still going and getting bigger so will think about separating them soon.

Look what I have found for you dongles.

https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/po...pple/zww5011TM

And:

https://www.sarahraven.com/veg_fruit..._fir_apple.htm
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 11:41 AM

Thanks Mups.

It didn't cross my mind to order them online. I have only been looking in the shops.

Do you grow potatoes? Do you like Fir apple?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

08-02-2018, 11:49 AM

I haven't room for potatoes here, dongles, I would love to to otherwise.
I grew them years ago and aren't they supberb flavour is you dig and cook straightaway. Yummy.
Same with carrots, they are full of flavour if pulled and cooked same day.

If I had them here, they would have to be just a few in those veg bags thingys.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 11:49 AM

Know the feeling about finding space for a greenhouse. I did manage to find a company that made a 5x4 ft glass/metal frame one which fitted just right where an old log shed was which I took down.
Sue was going to have one of those plastic sheet covered ones but i said no get a proper one on none at all
My problem was finding one that fitted between the fence and and the vine

As space was tight it took some finding for the small plastic storage unit which, after a lot of measuring beforehand, just fitted into the space as shown. That left a small area behind to put the large pots in out of the way

having even a small greenhouse makes all the difference. Plants can be brought on that much earlier ready for planting.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-02-2018, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Know the feeling about finding space for a greenhouse. I did manage to find a company that made a 5x4 ft glass/metal frame one which fitted just right where an old log shed was which I took down.
Sue was going to have one of those plastic sheet covered ones but i said no get a proper one on none at all
My problem was finding one that fitted between the fence and and the vine

As space was tight it took some finding for the small plastic storage unit which, after a lot of measuring beforehand, just fitted into the space as shown. That left a small area behind to put the large pots in out of the way
That's nice - a decent size really, it's amazing how much you can get in them.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top