Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 08:05 PM

Cyclamen plants

Any advice on indoor Cyclamen plants please? I have two on my kitchen window sill,if I dont water them every day they droop and some leaves turn brown and die. Should I re pot them in bigger pots?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 08:13 PM

Re: Cyclamen plants

Deylon you can read my mind!

I was given a lovely cyclamen on my birthday and I'm not sure if its an indoor plant or should go outside?
One of my Winter pots outside has cyclamen in it, Im very confused!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 09:52 PM

The houseplant Cyclamen is not quite the same as the hardly outdoor Cyclamen Coums.

The indoor houseplant ones will be past their best now and starting to slow down and rest before returning to bloom next autumn.

When you water them, don't leave the corm (bulb) soaking wet or they will usually start rotting. If you over water they will droop, and if they are bone dry they will droop also.
My guess is if you are watering them every day Deylon, it is far too much.
Some people say it is best not to water the actual compost, but to pour the water into the saucer and let the compost drink it up that way.

The leaves will start going yellow when the plant is going to start resting.
Don't just pull of the yellow leaves, you sort of 'unscrew' them from the base next to the corn, else the stems will rot. Just follow the leaf stem down to it's base and give the stem a little twist and it should come off neatly and easily.

I found this page for you, see if it helps. Good luck.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 09:54 PM

Thanks Mups..but if its a gift how do you know whether to put it outside or not
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 10:33 PM

Dunno without seeing it ruthio.
As a rough guide, the houseplants are usually bigger. Bigger leaves, and bigger blooms than the little hardy garden ones.

May be as well to play safe and not put it out until the frosts and cold winter has gone.
I forgot to say, they also like a cool room. Keep them off sunny windowsills, and away from radiators.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

14-02-2018, 10:37 PM

Thanks, that makes perfect sense!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-02-2018, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Thanks, that makes perfect sense!

You're welcome.
I love me plants and flowers.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 01:18 AM

I have never been able to get more than one season's flowers from a cyclamen. I think they just don't like me because I don't treat 'em right . The pesky things grow a massive root and then go dormant.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

15-02-2018, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Thanks Mups..but if its a gift how do you know whether to put it outside or not

I am a silly old wotsit ruthio, I said above that I had found a page for you to see, but only just seen I forgot to post the link!

https://www.sarahraven.com/articles/indoor_cyclamen.htm
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 01:46 PM

I have a cyclamen that my daughter gave me a couple of years ago. It is the small flowered variety. It sits on a north facing windowledge and has flowered non-stop since she gave it to me. I water it very sparcely no more than once a week and I have never fed it. Whenever my daughter visits she is amazed that it is still flowering.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top