Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 01:15 PM

Should I be pruning yet?

I have a few plants in the garden that require pruning in late winter, should I be out there doing it now as I keep reading and hearing on the radio or should I be waiting until the chance of frost has past? There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice out there.

I have a group 3 Clematis which needs to be cut down to 8" and a group 2 Clematis that needs trimming.

I also have hardy Osteospurmums and Rudbeckia Summerina.

I hand over to the more experienced gardeners. My garden is still only in it's second year so I have no experience to go on.

Thank you.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 01:23 PM

Re: Should I be pruning yet?

I got fed up of fighting my way to the bird table so I took the secateurs to some shrubs, I may regret it...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I got fed up of fighting my way to the bird table so I took the secateurs to some shrubs, I may regret it...
I have done things like that in my last garden and everything survived but it had been established over twenty years or so. It used to be a case of reducing everything but at the moment, I'm trying to increase everything.

Perhaps we all worry about pruning too much and should just do it when the time feels right.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 01:41 PM

Well LD, it is late winter so I would say get stuck in whilst the plants are still dormant.....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

19-02-2018, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Well LD, it is late winter so I would say get stuck in whilst the plants are still dormant.....
Thanks Barry.

There is some very cold weather forecast so do you think that would be a problem or would the plants just sort themselves out?
Bobby Àmericano
AMERICA
Bobby Àmericano is male  Bobby Àmericano has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 01:50 PM

Yes, and now is the last window to prune roses.... at least here!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Thanks Barry.

There is some very cold weather forecast so do you think that would be a problem or would the plants just sort themselves out?
The frost shouldn't be a problem LD so better to do it now before the sap starts to rise, and the plants then won't have to waste their energy rejuvenating parts of the plant that you intend to cut off anyway...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

19-02-2018, 02:32 PM

The frost shouldn't be a problem LD so better to do it now before the sap starts to rise, and the plants then won't have to waste their energy rejuvenating parts of the plant that you intend to cut off anyway...
Thanks Barry.

I shall get started.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 02:35 PM

I never prune hydrangeas until the frost has gone. I leave the old flower heads on til then.
Did you know in France people were stealing hydragea heads to smoke?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

19-02-2018, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bobby Àmericano ->
Yes, and now is the last window to prune roses.... at least here!
Hi Bobby.

I think that's one of the problems with the internet, your zones being different to our zones. It makes it a bit confusing at times. Also there seems to be a slight difference between north and south Britain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top