Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 09:40 PM

Good Tech does not always have to be expensive

Does technology have to be the latest flashest most expensive thing to be good?

I made a fantastic purchase about 5+ years ago of a San Disk Clip mp3 player

It was not particularly fashionable back then but it has been one of the best purchases I have made in tech, not that expensive at the time and it has been playing my music for the last 5+ years without any problems, the battery easy lasts for over a week and it has a built in FM radio. 8 gig capacity and the ability to add a mini SD card if required.
Everything I need from a mp3 player.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 11:07 PM

Re: Good Tech does not always have to be expensive

I wont go anywhere without mine...

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	63B08887-D986-492A-81E3-732AD33E3B17.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	5203  
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 11:10 PM

Phones superceded mp3 players for me - in fact the first digital music player I had was a Nokia phone in 2004 - they've come full circle. I don't like the closed in nature of an mp3 player.

Phones have in fact decimated mp3 players with the exclusion of the boutique Chinese players, many of which are poor value for exorbitant costs.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Phones superceded mp3 players for me - in fact the first digital music player I had was a Nokia phone in 2004 - they've come full circle. I don't like the closed in nature of an mp3 player.

Phones have in fact decimated mp3 players with the exclusion of the boutique Chinese players, many of which are poor value for exorbitant costs.

Can't say I agree with that. MP3 players are a lot more compact and don't use as much battery life. My Sony MP3 player is packed with 190 podcasts of the News Quiz and the Now Show going back to 2010. I use it at night time to get off to sleep - stick in the ear-buds, set the shut-off timer for thirty minutes and set it playing, I'm well away by the time it knocks off. The following night, it continues playing from where it left off the previous night.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 11:57 PM

Modern phones use little battery life at the basic level of audio reproduction, But phone sales have decimated mp3 device sales - there's no denying that. If there are 4 billion smartphones, there certainly aren't 4 billion mp3 players.

Where are all the new mp3 players? How many, if any, offer streaming? There are few due to paucity of demand.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

20-02-2018, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
Does technology have to be the latest flashest most expensive thing to be good?

I made a fantastic purchase about 5+ years ago of a San Disk Clip mp3 player

It was not particularly fashionable back then but it has been one of the best purchases I have made in tech, not that expensive at the time and it has been playing my music for the last 5+ years without any problems, the battery easy lasts for over a week and it has a built in FM radio. 8 gig capacity and the ability to add a mini SD card if required.
Everything I need from a mp3 player.
The problem with that is you have to hook it up to a computer to download files on to it. Ok player in 2009, though, when it came out and people used to do this. Personally, I need to hear new music every day as well as a device that handles podcasts as soon as a new one appears.
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Can't say I agree with that. MP3 players are a lot more compact and don't use as much battery life. My Sony MP3 player is packed with 190 podcasts of the News Quiz and the Now Show going back to 2010. I use it at night time to get off to sleep - stick in the ear-buds, set the shut-off timer for thirty minutes and set it playing, I'm well away by the time it knocks off. The following night, it continues playing from where it left off the previous night.
My point exactly! they do just what I want and the battery lasts for ages, they so exactly what I require.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 09:34 AM

I've got a similar MP3 to Colin. It does exactly what I want it to.

I don't have, want or need a smart phone as they do not meet my requirements and I certainly wouldn't use one for music anyway. Phones are for phone calls and texts, unless you want one the size of a small country
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

20-02-2018, 10:18 AM

Yes, not everyone wants a smartphone, I guess. I sometimes (usually at night) put mine into airplane mode before a listening session - I always have some downloaded music to listen to.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 11:36 AM

I don't have any music on my phone but I do have a Sony Mp3 Player. The problem with the phone is that it is not loud enough even at full volume, because I do like my music loud. Another problem is that I forget to take the earphones whereas they are permanently plugged into my MP3 player.

When I travel on public transport I always take my Sony ebook, my MP3 Player and my phone.

I can't say the Sony player is my favourite because the Creative MP3 Player I had before was better unfortunately they stopped making them presumably because of the dominance of mobile phones.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top