Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 01:54 PM

Re: Pork

Very good advice. I'm lucky in that I have good speciality shops nearby, otherwise it would be the supermarket for everything.

But their meat is too pink, doesn't look right.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
not everyone has your shops near them. Only farm shop near here charges like a wounded bull for very poor produce that they bring in from markets in London.

Supermarkets are most people's only choice for price and convenience.
Nonsense !

There are 100s of great top quality farm shops across the country. You can order whatever you want online and have your meat delivered.

For example:

https://www.damndelicious.co.uk/aberdeen-angus-beef

https://www.graigfarm.co.uk/

Order a load, have it delivered, pop it in the freezer.

Really easy.

Supermarket produce is generally sh1te. Your choice.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Nonsense !

There are 100s of great top quality farm shops across the country. You can order whatever you want online and have your meat delivered.

For example:

https://www.damndelicious.co.uk/aberdeen-angus-beef

https://www.graigfarm.co.uk/

Order a load, have it delivered, pop it in the freezer.

Really easy.

Supermarket produce is generally sh1te. Your choice.
Ok if you can afford that, supermarket foods cheap we will be happy to buy from butchers on line if they can match the prices. Actually no we won't we are all vegetarian these days my days of worrying about meat are long over.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 12:30 AM

The Queen of Naïve strikes again !

Maybe consider researching the provenance of the food you eat and start to make more sensible choices.

Here's a clue. Don't buy meat from supermarkets.

Find a proper farm shop which rears its own animals and/or is linked with good local providers and has high quality produce. Stock up on meats regularly and freeze them so you always have something available.

Do the same for vegetables if that's possible. Find a local organic vegetable grower and go support them.

Cost of product should not be an issue where your health is concerned.

Realist, just because meat might have been reared on the farm premises, it doesn't mean it is slaughtered on the farm premises.

Also, it wouldn't make a scrap of difference to which animals tumours grow in, as the tumours are not that picky about whether to grow in intensively reared animals or outdoor ones.

As far as your advice about buying vegetables is concerned, again, just because they are grown on the local farm, doesn't mean they are not sprayed with chemicals on land which is artificially fertilized - unless you buy organic of course.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 08:13 PM

Ok if you can afford that, supermarket foods cheap we will be happy to buy from butchers on line if they can match the prices.
This is a life choice.

For me personally, my health is top priority but clearly many other people live differently.

You keep 2 dogs which must cost plenty in vets bills, continual food supply and so on. You probably have other things you spend money on. Maybe Sky TV or Netflix, maybe Smart Phones and associated monthly contracts. Who knows?!

I'm not judging. You live how you want to live.
But spending more on good quality food is always possible. It's just a question of priorities.

Buying good food is important to me. It's vital to good health. If money were tight (and it generally is as I retired early) then I would sacrifice frivolous niceties in order to be able to buy good food. I would even sacrifice things like holidays.

So I buy very little from supermarkets and regularly stock up on meats from good farm shops with good provenance. As it happens we are about to have a deer slaughtered from a long standing good quality deer farm and have it properly butchered and jointed to replenish our venison supply.
Good healthy meat, low on fat and very delicious.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 10:11 AM

This is a life choice.

For me personally, my health is top priority but clearly many other people live differently.

You keep 2 dogs which must cost plenty in vets bills, continual food supply and so on. You probably have other things you spend money on. Maybe Sky TV or Netflix, maybe Smart Phones and associated monthly contracts. Who knows?!

I'm not judging. You live how you want to live.
But spending more on good quality food is always possible. It's just a question of priorities.

Buying good food is important to me. It's vital to good health. If money were tight (and it generally is as I retired early) then I would sacrifice frivolous niceties in order to be able to buy good food. I would even sacrifice things like holidays.

So I buy very little from supermarkets and regularly stock up on meats from good farm shops with good provenance. As it happens we are about to have a deer slaughtered from a long standing good quality deer farm and have it properly butchered and jointed to replenish our venison supply.
Good healthy meat, low on fat and very delicious.
That's an opinion I never have been able to stand taste or texture of meat. I gave it up in my teens as soon as I had a choice of what I could eat. My husband gave up more recently just started to go off meat of any sort, our young men gave it up for ethical reasons, no halal slaughter for them.

I do cook healthy food no one gets sick from my food, we mainly eat plain stuff. Only one really likes spicier is our daughter.

I did a variety of veg in a light cheesy sauce yesterday, today it's roast veggies with a quorn sausage. All healthy food.

If you prefer dead things that's up to you, but don't judge my family (dogs) or choices in life as less good than yours I'm probably happier with my lot than you are with yours from way you attack others choices in life. I'm content to let others do what they want because I'm content with my lot.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

23-02-2018, 10:44 AM

I do cook healthy food no one gets sick from my food, we mainly eat plain stuff.
today it's roast veggies with a quorn sausage. All healthy food.
Quorn imo is far from healthy. It's a highly processed mycoprotein/fungus that has to be grown with and mixed with all manner of other substances to give it texture.

The CPSI (Centre for Science in the Public Interest) sued the manufacturer of Quorn because it is dangerous and causes serious allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. You can read their statements on Quorn here:

https://cspinet.org/eating-healthy/foods-avoid/quorn

"We urge consumers to avoid Quorn and urges natural-foods retailers like Whole Foods not to sell this product that is dangerous to sensitive individuals."

There's another article about Quorn here:

http://www.myfoodandhappiness.com/qu...at-substitute/

"The mycoprotein can’t be sold as food on its own so it needs a lot of extra ingredients to make it look like a finished product that imitates meat. Added colourings, artificial flavours, gluten, yeast, starch, acids, gums and many other! Surely all of these ingredients can’t be classified as healthy!?"

[QUOTE=Julie1962;1351882]
If you prefer dead things that's up to you[quote]

Strange statement to make. All food is a dead thing. Whether animal or vegetable. You take a living thing, cattle or growing vegetable, and remove it from it's life source. Then cook it and eat it.

Your body doesn't care one jot. Your body just needs its fuel which is "life energy". It extracts that life energy from whatever you eat. Some things contain more of it than others, some things are harder for the body to extract the life energy out of than others. You also take in life energy from the sun and from the air your breathe and the water you drink.

I'm betting you like to have flowers in a vase in your rooms. A living thing, thriving in the ground which you then sever from it's source of life energy, kill, and then display in a vase to watch whilst they slowly perish.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

23-02-2018, 10:59 AM

Artificial flowers actually only living things are plants it's a bit of thing I don't like dead things around the flat including flowers.

You can say what you want about quorn we like like no one has got ill from it and it's quick and easy to use.

It's no worse than mechanically recovered meat IMO

If my three dogs are happy to eat it and my family like it I really don't care what any random people on the Internet think.

Honestly eat what you want I'll eat what I want. End of.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 03:29 PM

Why do you feed your dogs on Quorn Julie?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

24-02-2018, 01:11 AM

You can say what you want about quorn we like like no one has got ill from it and it's quick and easy to use.
lol it's not me saying it, its the CPSI !!!

It's no worse than mechanically recovered meat IMO

Honestly eat what you want I'll eat what I want. End of.
No-one said you couldn't eat what you want.

Why so defensive?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top