Join for free
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 10:48 PM

Amazon Fire HD 8 inch

Has anyone got one of these? I'm thinking of getting one of these for my old mum for Mother's Day. I let her have my old Nexus 7 tablet but it's showing its age now so I thought I'd get her a newer model.

Any comments for or against?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 10:26 AM

Re: Amazon Fire HD 8 inch

My husband had ne briefly he didn't like it, it's not very versatile didn't do half the things he needed. Can't even update any books you are reading if you aren't at home with good wifi.

That's something else it needs really good wifi we couldn't take it out of the lounge where the modem is or the Internet dropped out.

There are better ones out there IMO oh and it wasn't as easy to set up as my iPad.
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 10:53 AM

I got one,it suits me,takes pics,emails,kindle books,google,its ok around the house and garden,new books downloaded in seconds,,,,depends what you want judd,there is better out there,maybe dearer
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 11:46 AM

I had the 7
I found the sound too low but downloaded an app to improve but found headphones the better solution.

I found the calendar easy to use and linked it and the email to my google accounts so my mobile and tablet were linked.

I had access to Prime movies which I found ok and also used iPlayer and iPlayer radio a lot.
I used YouTube for music not the Amazon downloaded program and didn't really bother much with the kindle book reading section but then again not really felt much like reading for a while.

I created documents and simple spreadsheet's downloaded a memo pad.

I had a couple of games I downloaded as well.

The alarm, and calculator were ok.
I've used it in every room in the bungalow and the small garden. I've also used it in coffee shops etc with their free WiFi.

The camera and video were good enough for me.

It doesn't let you see all your saved passwords which was a pain.

I liked it but you have to remember it replaced a tower PC stuck in the corner of the room so the ability to be mobile with it around the house or when visiting my family was brilliant

One big problem was that the fact I used it so much even taking asleep with it in bed listening to radio, music or TV is that I used the charging point a lot and ended up replacing 3 to 4 micro USB leads as they became loose in the tablets socket and stopped recharging.

I suppose I could have done more with it but for what I wanted it was perfect.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 06:12 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Will also check out the online reviews but it's always a good idea to get input from those (positive and negative) who've had experience using one.

My mum's Wi-Fi is excellent so no worries there. Won't be a problem setting up either since both her Nexus 7 and phone are both Android. Put her account details into the new tab and it will set itself up with all of her installed Apps. The only downside (for me at least) is not having access to the full Android Play Store, it will be reliant for the most part on Amazon Apps but I could easily change that if she so chose. As long as she can get internet access, play her word games and Candy Crush, I think she'll be suited.

Cheers

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top