Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 01:03 PM

Tips for cold weather

Without wishing to over dramatize the cold weather we are about to get, there are a few things that could help avert a disaster.

If you have an isolation valve on the pipe to your garden tap, turn it off and drain the tap off leaving it open until warmer weather. Pipes can burst because the water has nowhere to expand to, so letting the tap drip slightly can help.

if you have to thaw an outside tap using hot water or a hairdryer do it gently and open the tap first.

If the tap is working ok, cover it up with some sort of insulation.

If possible wrap up your water butts. A bit of ice is ok but if they freeze solid, they can split. Ideally, water butts should be empty in this weather but I have never bothered.

Ponds. Either use a pond heater or float plastic balls on the surface. You can also use plastic bottles partially filled with stones so that they bob along. The Ice itself doesn't kill fish (unless they are unlucky enough to get trapped in it) it's the fact that the gases in the pond build up because they cannot escape.

If your pond is frozen, don't smash the ice, the shock waves can kill the fish. Sit a pan of very hot water on the surface until a hole appears in the ice.

These are only suggestions so please don't blame me if they don't work.

Please add any other suggestions.
Greenhorn
England
Greenhorn is male  Greenhorn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 02:30 PM

Re: Tips for cold weather

Don't wear ripped jeans .....

Grow a hairy back ....
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 02:37 PM

Don't make snowballs out of the snow which has a yellow colour.

If you slip & fall over - don't put your arms out. Use the Parachutist roll! Cold arms snap off.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 02:46 PM

Socks over shoes seem to make it less slippy but still be careful.

Best is only go out if you have to it amazes me how many people seem to go out for daftest reasons and come a cropper.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 02:46 PM

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions although I don't have an outside tap, fish, below snow or ripped jeans .

I have bought a camping stove this morning in case the electricity goes off, there is no gas out in the countryside.
I have a camping ring but haven't used it for many year and it look a bit rusty and unsafe.

I can now fill a hot water bottle if needed and have all kinds of delights cooked on my ring (in the garage with the door open) Once when the power was off for 4 days we had porridge, stew and dumplings and drop scones with jam and many other tasty things cooked on one ring.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Greenhorn ->
Don't wear ripped jeans .....

Grow a hairy back ....
Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Don't make snowballs out of the snow which has a yellow colour.

If you slip & fall over - don't put your arms out. Use the Parachutist roll! Cold arms snap off.
Good advice.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Thank you all for the helpful suggestions although I don't have an outside tap, fish, below snow or ripped jeans .

I have bought a camping stove this morning in case the electricity goes off, there is no gas out in the countryside.
I have a camping ring but haven't used it for many year and it look a bit rusty and unsafe.

I can now fill a hot water bottle if needed and have all kinds of delights cooked on my ring (in the garage with the door open) Once when the power was off for 4 days we had porridge, stew and dumplings and drop scones with jam and many other tasty things cooked on one ring.
Stay safe Meg sounds like you are prepared for the worst.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 05:28 PM

Alas it was the cold winter of 2010 that killed off my fish, the pond froze over and the ice was about six to eight inches thick, I didn’t have a pond heater, and couldn’t defrost the ice, all my lovely koi died, so I filled it in , it’s now a flower bed,
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

27-02-2018, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Alas it was the cold winter of 2010 that killed off my fish, the pond froze over and the ice was about six to eight inches thick, I didn’t have a pond heater, and couldn’t defrost the ice, all my lovely koi died, so I filled it in , it’s now a flower bed,
What a shame Primus. Koi seem to be more susceptible to the cold weather than the humble goldfish and expensive to replace too. Yes, six inches of ice is a lot to deal with.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 05:39 PM

Jump on a plane to Lanzarote, it's sunny here. But don't eat any lamb!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top