Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 12:06 PM

Re: What is the most dangerous thing you have ever done?

You watch your step Nomkins, I'll give you 'shortcomings' indeed . . .

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You watch your step Nomkins, I'll give you 'shorcomings' indeed . . .

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2018, 10:23 PM

A second dangerous thing, although it wasn't to begin with. Was climbing Mt Krivan, in the Tatras. Had set off early in the morning and it was a beautiful sunny day. Whilst climbing this vertical cliff over 500 ft high, a storm came across the top of the mountain at us, we couldn't see it coming. Lightning was striking the rocks no more than 500 metres away and I could feel the electric buzz of it through my fingers. We were high enough that it snowed on us (was raining down in the valley). Needless to say that was the end of my attempt at climbing Mt Krivan. Havealways meant to go back and complete the climb, but never going to happen now.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 09:23 AM

We had German shepherd dogs when I was a child, to protect my father's business. One was quite dangerous and killed many of the neighbourhood cats. One of my uncles, who owned the next property to ours, would always drive his car over to ours and blast on the horn for someone to remove the animal as he was scared of it. I had no such qualms I would lie on the grass, with it standing over me and tell it to bite my neck, it always backed off. CRAZY OR WHAT? In the end my father put it down as someone had complained it had attacked them.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 09:43 AM

Submissive gesture that's why it backed off added to the fact it knew you!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 10:00 AM

Sorry Tara but that's a stupid thing to do, my sympathy would have been with the dog had it decided to attack. You of course would be dead.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Sorry Tara but that's a stupid thing to do, my sympathy would have been with the dog had it decided to attack. You of course would be dead.
Well of course it was stupid, I was about 10 at the time. Anyway it is long gone and good riddance.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 04:58 PM

Talking of dogs, when I was a TV engineer, call times were arranged into 3 categories. A.M, OPEN TIME and P.M.

On this particular day things had gone well and I'd finished all my A.M and OPEN TIME calls by 12.15 p.m. This left only one P.M call to do for the rest of the day. Strictly speaking, P.M calls were started after lunch at around 2.00 p.m but there I was with just this one call left. It was worth taking a chance on the customer being at home since it had gone 12.00.

I knocked at the door and, shortly after, heard a scraping noise on the gravel pathway. The German Shepherd dog that rounded the corner pinned me into the doorway. The rules soon became clear. I'd be OK if I didn't move. Every time I tried to leave, the dog came at me again. The immediate future looked bleak. I could be stuck in this predicament for a couple of hours or so. I reckoned my hair would probably have turned white by the time the customer came home.

As luck would have it, he was actually in and had heard the noise. What seemed like a very long time had probably only been a minute or two but that was enough. The dog's owner apologised for the scare but quite rightly pointed out that had I called a little later, the dog would have been shut away.

I made a show of treating the matter casually and set about repairing the TV. However, the cup of tea I accepted gave the game away. My shaking hand rattled the cup on the saucer like a tambourine. What a good job the customer was at home! I finished the repair and the rest of the day was mine. I needed a few hours off after that.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Well of course it was stupid, I was about 10 at the time. Anyway it is long gone and good riddance.
Why on earth would anyone in their right mind train and keep such an aggressive animal and allow it to run free in a home enviroment.

Such guard dogs are used when businesses need to guarded when the premises are left unattended for the night to deter thieves.

The dog should have been confined during the day considering it's potential to kill.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

25-03-2018, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
Why on earth would anyone in their right mind train and keep such an aggressive animal and allow it to run free in a home enviroment.

Such guard dogs are used when businesses need to guarded when the premises are left unattended for the night to deter thieves.

The dog should have been confined during the day considering it's potential to kill.
It was to protect my father's horticultural business, and it only did for the cats, which were a problem anyway. We don't think it actually attacked anyone, the person who made the complaint hadn't any evidence it had hurt him. But my father put it down anyway, to be safe rather than sorry. We had no problems with its predecessor or successors.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top