Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 06:23 PM

Free lunches during the school holidays

My vicar daughter has organised, with the help of members of her congregation, children's lunches during the holidays, including half terms. They would normally have them free during term time. We donate money to help this good cause, as do many others.

Is there any such help for kids like them in your areas?
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 06:26 PM

Re: Free lunches during the school holidays

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
My vicar daughter has organised, with the help of members of her congregation, children's lunches during the holidays, including half terms. They would normally have them free during term time. We donate money to help this good cause, as do many others.

Is there any such help for kids like them in your areas?
Tara that's a fantastic idea!
There isn't anything like that here, that I know of
I don't think you live that far from me though
Am I able to donate to it too?
Is there a websit/address or anything?
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 06:29 PM

There is a local church that has twice weekly lunch club for senior citizens here
I've helped out there once
They have a great time there
And so did I!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 06:30 PM

Thicko alert ....

Where are the lunches served if it's half tern time?
A church hall or similar?

It does sound a great idea.

Edited to add.
Just seen Rhian's reply.
Thicko alert crisis resolved.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 06:31 PM

In the area where I live in Scotland, the local authority provides this.

However, apparently it is being (mis)used by child minders who bring their charges down for a free lunch and there is no check being made on the eligibility of the recipients.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Tara that's a fantastic idea!
There isn't anything like that here, that I know of
I don't think you live that far from me though
Am I able to donate to it too?
Is there a websit/address or anything?
That is kind, but as far as I know there isn't one, and I mustn't give out my daughter's name etc to people I don't know. As far as I know they have sufficient funds with the donations the receive to fund this enterprise.

However if you think your area would benefit from free children's holiday lunches, why don't you suggest it to your local clergy, WI or anyone else who might consider setting it up?
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

24-03-2018, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
That is kind, but as far as I know there isn't one, and I mustn't give out my daughter's name etc to people I don't know. As far as I know they have sufficient funds with the donations the receive to fund this enterprise.

However if you think your area would benefit from free children's holiday lunches, why don't you suggest it to your local clergy, WI or anyone else who might consider setting it up?
I definitely will Tara
Its not just in term time that it's important is it?

Many children go hungry or poorly nourished in the holidays

I think I've seen something about it on the news recently...but sometimes initiatives like that take ages to get going
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

24-03-2018, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Thicko alert ....

Where are the lunches served if it's half tern time?
A church hall or similar?

It does sound a great idea.

Edited to add.
Just seen Rhian's reply.
Thicko alert crisis resolved.
They aren't cooked lunches that would be too hard, they supply healthy sandwiches and fruit etc for dessert, I believe. I am not quite sure, but I think they are collected from the church hall.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 06:37 PM

Wonderful idea.
Smile
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 07:00 PM

Brilliant idea our local school here donates a room for lunches and the parents who are able do a lunch each day during the school holidays for kids normally get a free school meal, it's paid for by donations at school and church.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top