Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 09:48 PM

Re: Free lunches during the school holidays

I read about this and thought it was open to abuse.

Personally I would feel really ashamed if I had to take my kids anywhere to get free food. I had the number of children I knew I could afford to feed.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->

Personally I would feel really ashamed if I had to take my kids anywhere to get free food. I had the number of children I knew I could afford to feed.
That's quite a narrow minded opinion if i can be so bold as to point out
People from all walks of life can find themselves in all kinds of problems..for any number of reasons
And as regards shame...then people every day have to swallow that feeling in order to make sure they are doing the best by their children.
Difficult in the extreme yes but i know which one I'd choose if I had to
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
That's quite a narrow minded opinion if i can be so bold as to point out
People from all walks of life can find themselves in all kinds of problems..for any number of reasons
And as regards shame...then people every day have to swallow that feeling in order to make sure they are doing the best by their children.
Difficult in the extreme yes but i know which one I'd choose if I had to
Quite right. No one knows what bad luck befalls a family.

Job losses are common these days which can plunge a family into poverty. Many families are living on the bread line and are dependant on food banks. The Noth of England has suffered in this way more than the South. But some people have no conception of what these people are going through.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
Quite right. No one knows what bad luck befalls a family.

Job losses are common these days which can plunge a family into poverty. Many families are living on the bread line and are dependant on food banks. The Noth of England has suffered in this way more than the South. But some people have no conception of what these people are going through.
Absolutely mesco
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 08:21 AM

I don't think there have been any problems in that regard, they only give free holiday lunches to the school children who receive free school lunches.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 08:57 AM

I'm glad there is no stigma attached to accepting free food for children these days I had free school meals throughout my school life and me and one other girl were dragged out in front of the whole class in primary school for a daily spoon of cod liver oil and another of malt extract. I hated it but you know what it's probably why now at my age I have good teeth and I'm reasonably healthy.

Of course it will be abused but so what, they raised the money to do it, good luck to them.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 11:27 AM

Of course you can point it out. Its still my opinion. ��. Why do people keep having children and expecting the state or a charity to provide for them?

Every young parent has a mobile phone, can afford tattoos and piercings but they cant afford to feed their own children? Somethings not right there.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 11:31 AM

Of course you can point it out. Its still my opinion. ��. Why do people keep having children and expecting the state or a charity to provide for them?

Every young parent has a mobile phone, can afford tattoos and piercings but they cant afford to feed their own children? Somethings not right there.
That statement is a little bit sweeping. However, people should certainly stop having children if they cannot afford to feed the ones they have.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK

25-03-2018, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
That statement is a little bit sweeping. However, people should certainly stop having children if they cannot afford to feed the ones they have.
Well I cant think of a single young parent I know (and I know very many) who doesnt have a phone and you’d be hard pushed to find one who doesnt have at least one tattoo costing upwards of £50 for a very small one.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 04:05 PM

Many people fall on bad times after they have children it's hard to send them back once you have them.

Also a phone these days is a necessity not a luxury as it used to be.

Try finding a phone box that works.

Also although this for only kids on free school meals I'd like to see it go further, many aren't on them but struggle because they can't work so many hours during holidays or are just on the cusp of not managing.

Anyone begrudges a child a meal really needs to think harder about life these days and how much harder it is for parents to manage.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top