Join for free
Page 12 of 1676 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 512 1012 > Last »
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2016, 10:09 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

I've decided to rob a bank.
I'm going to dress as a clown,with nipple clamps and stilettos,carrying a goat which will go down on me as I demand the money,parping a huge car hooter between each sentence,then mince out with a big bag of money as the goat headbutts anyone trying to follow me. Let's see them re-create THAT for Crimewatch!!!
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2016, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
Amazingggggg. I never knew penguins could do that sort of stuff. I always used to watch them waddle around and fall on their faces.
They do that well don't they!
Try and imagine walking along with such short legs!

Pug - am impressed with your choice of weapon!
Go mighty goat!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2016, 03:06 PM

Pug, been in a Guitar Shop today, first time since 1977, my son was the reason for the visit, he is buying a Gibson Les Paul, he went with the idea of buying a Standard (circa £2100.00) but was recommended a Traditional 2016 @ a bargain £1699.00, he is now a bit confused, which one would you go for?, he thinks the traditional has a better feel, so I spose that's good enough reason
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2016, 08:47 PM

In all truth,the only REAL difference is in the 'reverb' quality.
Personally,I'd go for the Traditional every time.
Not just for sound quality-they're both good-but for the enhanced quality of rosewood fretboard,which makes 'slip' a LOT easier and minimises the 'zzzzpp' sound of fingers sliding along the mid strings.
But one tip I'd recommend is to check the nut and bridge are BONE,not plastic. Plastic will wear very quickly in it's grooves,which will cause a loose 'buzz' under the chord.....also,if I might be so bold-I suggest he ask the shop to tune it to DROP-D,prior to purchase. He'll find Blues riffs REALLY easy to play,using just the two 'deep' strings,plus it'll give him a chance to use chords that require just three fingers,so no over-stretching of the hand/tendons to get minor or sharp chords. HTH,bro.

[oh dear - I'm being sensible & serious...sorry....]
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2016, 11:41 PM

Thanks for the conformation, it's a lot of cash for an off the shelf guitar, but it always was, the Traditional seems the way to go. I don't usually like hype, but, in 1977, I got to play a 59 Les Paul, the action was beyond belief, it suggests modern day Luthiers do exist.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK

22-03-2016, 09:30 PM

spitty,have a beak on ebay....there are several 'Traditional' L/P's on there,from £800-ish. One BIG bonus buying a pre-played guitar is not having to 'play it in'....which can take weeks,if it isn't in everyday use. Quite often,a brand-new guitar can sound really crappy....especially if he doesn't know what brand or calibre strings he prefers,as they'll likely be 'standard'...[which is a simile for 'cheap n nasty'] and will therefore be out of tune within 20 minutes playing. They buzz,too. But it's to be expected-even Les Paul have to max their profit margins...
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

22-03-2016, 11:03 PM

Yes, nice as the sales guy was, I got the impression he was selling an aspiration, and, tried to suggest five individual "Trads" were all different personalities, I ain't played seriously for a long time, but, I doubt that is the case, I'll have a nose at the used market, and suggest that is the way forward.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK

23-03-2016, 10:07 PM

Well,if he's not fussed over the name being all-imprtant,I'd suggest an Epiphone copy.
They're made using identical techniques-even to Humbucker pickups....but at around 1/5th of the purchase cost.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

23-03-2016, 11:36 PM

He has owned an Epiphone Black Beauty, an Ok guitar, but the intonation was not perfect, danger is, spending the extra will not sort this.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK

26-03-2016, 03:22 PM

Mate,a LOT of the tonal quality comes via the cabinet he uses [amp]
After all,the pickups are doing their work,the rosewood is doing it's thang,the strings are correctly tensioned and smoothed....and it all gets plugged into a crappy 'Marshal' amp that's actually made in Korea.....[you get the gist]....

Page 12 of 1676 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 512 1012 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top