Join for free
Page 793 of 1676 « First < 293 693 743 783 791 792 793 794 795 803 843 893 1293 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 12:51 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

I do like these old parables, and here is one I never heard of before, but for the life of me I couldn’t fig-ure this one out, until I read more about it. RJ is well up on his parables, he knows them all.
The parable of the barren fig tree, not to be confused with the parable of the budding fig tree, it would seem them Jews of old was nuts about fig trees.
A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none. Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground? And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it: And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.
— Luke 13:6–9, King James Version

Ah it seems the ‘Dresser’ or supervisor in the vineyard was playing a trick on the owner of the vineyard, first fruit from a fig tree was forbidden to be eaten for the first three years, by a then law of the land, Fig trees were not usually planted in vineyards because the roots took up too much space, on the fourth year the Dresser would keep the fruit for himself before removing the tree from the vineyard, crafty old sod, I believe he then went on create a fig syrup family business, indeed one of his descendants was the famous Solomon Rip who was knighted by Queen Victoria in 1890, arise “Sir Rip of Figs”
I believe that back in the 1940’s Hollywood abandoned a plan to cast Errol Flynn as Adam in a biblical film, they couldn’t find a fig leaf big enough.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 12:54 PM

OMG how much Irishmen does it take to put up sun brolly?
I counted four!
Sorry Jem I could not resist asking that.
I was just watching in amazement.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 01:10 PM

Four of them?, it wouldn’t surprise me Sweetie.
A Dublin man was flying home from a holiday in Spain, beside him was a Spaniard on his first trip to Dublin. as they approached Dublin airport where there is a big council estate, the Spaniard looks out the window, tips the Irishman on the shoulder and points to some white specks on the estate “What eez dem white things please?” "Ah dem, well watch them for a bit, if they move they’re seagulls and if they don’t they’re council painters”
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 09:56 PM

Love that Jem. I'm fed up with these continual storms! More rain then I have ever seen! It is the Irish that keep me going, bless them. Always a story for every occasion.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 11:11 PM

how are the boys and the hubby then SP??
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Yeah he sure is one hot dog alright.
It’s very hot here too and the folks are starting to moan about the heat, there really is no pleasing some people, this is what they have been praying for all Winter, I mean who could blame the great one for losing his rag with us every now and then and sending fire and brimstone.
Tell me this Gummy old chummy, do they eat hot dingos out there in Gumberland?
OMG - go and wash ya filthy mouth out with soap and water our Jem! - dingos are one of our national emblems - although we do eat the other two national emblems - kangaroos and emus but NO the dingo is treasured - many peoples here do have dogs that they swear have part dingo in them and I believe them - we have one too!

it's a bit like asking the Irish if they have four leaf clover soup daily!!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2018, 06:27 AM

What! you have twelve wild dogs, does that make you Dingo Starr?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

29-06-2018, 08:56 AM

I'll come over there spits and dong you with a dingo and make your dingle dangle - OK!!

Nb: and you'll noticed I haven't even mention roasting ya nuts!! BUT if you are at all interested would you like them firmly squeezed ; medium squeezed or as SP often offers gently squeezed??

Yes I know SP is over in Bulgaria getting some practice in with the BIG ONES - she'll get arthritis in her midcarpals ; intercarpals ; carpometacarpals ; metacarpophalangeals ; and the interphalangeals - I think I've spelled them alright? but heh what an experience!!

oh and Pugs don't get too depressed I think she will still be able to cope with scalp massages ever so gently? OK honey!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

29-06-2018, 09:33 AM

I'm listening you know.
Dingo dollars are rather like the Bulgarian lev. No-one wants them really.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

29-06-2018, 12:21 PM

heh - if ya all have any aussie dollar ya don't want - just send them here to me!! we take any trash - even yours!!

Page 793 of 1676 « First < 293 693 743 783 791 792 793 794 795 803 843 893 1293 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top