Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 05:16 PM

Re: Would you Repair or buy new?

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
The wheels went on my nice comfortable desk chair & I was going to buy another one, but discovered on Amazon they sold replacement wheels so I bought those instead. It's fine now, but usually yes, I do buy new.
There may be something profound to learn from these wheel repair stories but I have not yet learned what
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 05:18 PM

Buy new.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
I was wheely chuffed with fixing it though
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 06:06 PM

For me it depends on how attached I am to the item, or if it's something that's no longer made.

I renovated 2 garden tables and a garden bench a couple of years ago, all were over 20 years old, a lot of the wood was rotten and it would have been a lot easier (and maybe even cheaper) to get rid and buy new. But they had sentimental value for me so I was happy to renovate.

As a general rule though I will usually try to repair (for repair read bodge) something but if that fails I'll buy new.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by dwebb ->
i was wheely chuffed with fixing it though
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 06:11 PM

If I can fix it I will. Rather than spending more money by buying new plus hopefully not having the old one being dumped on landfill.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 06:42 PM

I'm a fixer I must admit. If you can mend it to a good standard then why not if you have the skills, for as well as the financial reward there is something quite satisfying about repairing something that was broken.

As it happens I have just repaired my driving glasses which lost a screw today and one of the lenses fell out. I found an old pair of reading glasses which are no longer strong enough, so took one of the screws out and used it to repair a pair of specs which as well as taking several days to replace, would also have cost quite a few bob to do so. Result....
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I'm a fixer I must admit. If you can mend it to a good standard then why not if you have the skills, for as well as the financial reward there is something quite satisfying about repairing something that was broken.

As it happens I have just repaired my driving glasses which lost a screw today and one of the lenses fell out. I found an old pair of reading glasses which are no longer strong enough, so took one of the screws out and used it to repair a pair of specs which as well as taking several days to replace, would also have cost quite a few bob to do so. Result....
I agree. There is a satisfaction in repairing something.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
I am sensing that might irritate you at times to be honest it was a bit of a one off and I did actually try to buy new
I am even more irritated sometimes when he says "you don't need to buy one - I'll make you one" Our house is full of "I'll make you ones"
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 07:30 PM

Whichever method is cheaper for me.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top