Join for free
Page 9 of 12 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 08:50 PM

Re: Do you have an accent?

I'm sorry but I have a Scouser accent. Its not the really harsh Liverpool accent but the more gentle Wirral Scouser accent. Well thats what Ive been told. My son is even worse than I am but luckily my daughter has not got the accent and speaks really nicely.

I remember once being in the Lake District and my son was talking to me while we looked in a shop window. I noticed the woman next to us elbowing her husband to comment on my sons accent.
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I have lived too long overseas I have an indeterminate accent .
I don't have any roots anywhere .
I'm the same. I've lived in a few different countries around the planet. I met a woman some years ago who was studying English languages and prided herself on being able to pick where people came from from there accents and dialects. She was very good but I had her stumped. She couldn't pick anything out of my accent.
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, it's sort of halfway between 'loch' and 'fisch'. 'Ich' is the same.

I think of it as being like 'sch', but raising the back of the tongue at the same time.

'Ch' as in 'loch' is the raising of the back of the tongue, but even further back!

Complicated, isn't it?

But Germans have learnt how to speak those sounds since birth, so it must just come naturally to them.
There's also a big difference in the dialects from the different "Bundeslande". If someone says a word in "Hochdeutsch" I can normally spell it straight out. If it's in a dialect like Badisch or Bayerisch then I have trouble getting around the accent.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kev60 ->
There's also a big difference in the dialects from the different "Bundeslande". If someone says a word in "Hochdeutsch" I can normally spell it straight out. If it's in a dialect like Badisch or Bayerisch then I have trouble getting around the accent.
You're right, of course.

Kölsch is almost a completely different language, from what I have seen!

People think (quite rightly) that accents and dialects in Britain are widely different. It seems to be the same in Germany and, quite possibly, in most other countries. I suppose we should remember that until late Victorian times Germany was a collection of many small countries.

I'll bet that a foreigner who has learnt standard English, and who has come to visit in, say, Geordiland would be completely at a loss!
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 03:35 AM

Funny thing is, the German or English accent can change dramatically within a short distance between towns.
To pick a difference of accent between Perth, Sydney and Melbourne is not easy.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 07:45 AM

You all have accents.

I am the one who doesn't.*

*Said with a California accent (whatever that is) according to my friends here, with just the very, very faintest hint of American Southern drawl, noticed only when I go out west.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
You all have accents.

I am the one who doesn't.*

*Said with a California accent (whatever that is) according to my friends here, with just the very, very faintest hint of American Southern drawl, noticed only when I go out west.
Oh very nice Surfermom
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 07:58 AM

Funny thing happened to me on a job a few decades ago.
I was working on an air conditioning system in a private residence somewhere in Australia, when the lady of the house suddenly said:"So, you are from Dortmund!"
I nearly fell down off my ladder. "Who told you that?"
"Nobody" she said, "We have friends who lived in Dortmund, they sound just like you."
sugarbug
canada
sugarbug is female  sugarbug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Perhaps you are Chinese!
lol ... Maybe I should check my Dna ...

My grandfather was from Ireland ...

My grandfather died when I was 12 ...
Chewing his tobacco and speaking with his thick Irish
brogue . I couldn't understand him .. maybe he was speaking
Chinese. Who know's.... You might be on to something there
JBR .. maybe I am Chinese...
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 12:48 PM

Dad was Irish mum a cockney somewhere in that mix is my accent .

Page 9 of 12 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top