Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 07:17 PM

Watching 4 World Cup matches in a day

By the time I watch Croatia and Nigeria, I will have seen 4 matches today. I do love my new TV - it gives me something to occupy myself whilst I can't go out much and books lose my interest.

I thought the most interesting match was Argentina Vs. Iceland. How embarrassing for Argentina that they couldn't even beat Iceland who scored their first ever World Cup goal.

I also thought Peru should have got something out of their game with Denmark - they were by far the more interesting team to watch, but what a penalty miss shocker.

Think that I prefer tennis to football slightly but the World Cup is only every 4 years and is the ultimate competition.

At night I've been recording films and other programmes which I haven't gotten round to watching because of all the action during the day. The TV lets me attach a 500GB HDD via USB to which I can record anything. A small drive by today's standards but it's actually hours and hours (maybe 100+?) of viewing.

I feel better about my cancer now that I've got a new hobby (watching TV), I think previously I was a bit aloof about television, preferring books, but there is something alluring about the sights and sounds of a good TV programme, especially sport. I watched the French Open in full and enjoyed it immensely; I hope to do the same with Queens and Wimbledon. And when I am in hospital I will preset my TV to record the matches I will miss.

I know I've been havering on and on about my TV but after 7 years or so without one it has really helped me with my illness and perhaps a bit of loneliness that was hanging around. I'm only resentful that the licence money goes to the BBC instead of some charity.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 07:23 PM

Re: Watching 4 World Cup matches in a day

Glad you're enjoying the TV and feeling a tad more relaxed.

I'm one of those rare guys who hates footy. I just switch it off...
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 07:32 PM

Yes, some people just don't get football. I wouldn't watch Scottish or English league matches, have only a passing interest in my favourite team (Hibernian) but like watching countries play each other.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
By the time I watch Croatia and Nigeria, I will have seen 4 matches today. I do love my new TV - it gives me something to occupy myself whilst I can't go out much and books lose my interest.

I thought the most interesting match was Argentina Vs. Iceland. How embarrassing for Argentina that they couldn't even beat Iceland who scored their first ever World Cup goal.

I also thought Peru should have got something out of their game with Denmark - they were by far the more interesting team to watch, but what a penalty miss shocker.

Think that I prefer tennis to football slightly but the World Cup is only every 4 years and is the ultimate competition.

At night I've been recording films and other programmes which I haven't gotten round to watching because of all the action during the day. The TV lets me attach a 500GB HDD via USB to which I can record anything. A small drive by today's standards but it's actually hours and hours (maybe 100+?) of viewing.

I feel better about my cancer now that I've got a new hobby (watching TV), I think previously I was a bit aloof about television, preferring books, but there is something alluring about the sights and sounds of a good TV programme, especially sport. I watched the French Open in full and enjoyed it immensely; I hope to do the same with Queens and Wimbledon. And when I am in hospital I will preset my TV to record the matches I will miss.

I know I've been havering on and on about my TV but after 7 years or so without one it has really helped me with my illness and perhaps a bit of loneliness that was hanging around. I'm only resentful that the licence money goes to the BBC instead of some charity.
Its great isn't it Fflosse,like you I am watching it all well as much as I can but our lass keeps asking me to do stuff and I have warned her that if she is not home by 7 pm Monday I will be locking the door and turning off the telephones.She can stay in London overnight. No way am I gonna miss the England games.

I am really a bit peeved its only England I would have loved to see Northern Ireland and Scotland in the mix as well.

I am running a World Cup prediction competition on my footy forum and that seems to be going great as well.

Thought Peru were a little unlucky not to get a draw against Denmark. Argentina's draw it was nice to see and Messi missing that penalty..
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

16-06-2018, 07:43 PM

Argentina will have some work to do now to get out of that group and progress.

I hope England do well even if I am Scottish; I hope they can avoid Germany as far as possible, though.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 08:32 PM

I agree they are nothing special at present but it is early days.
Watching Croatia Vs Nigeria and the Croats are a little bit classy compared to the physical Nigerians.
Yes I also want England to be there at the end although I am not a fan of Southgate's after his abysmal performance as manager at Boro he screwed us good and proper in his early days. Croats 1-0 as expected I suppose.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 08:41 PM

I'm not watching every single match avidly but I have been keeping up.

I also enjoyed seeing Messi missing the penalty and Maradona's face afterwards.

I also wish Scotland, Wales & Ireland were in it. I have always supported Scotland in previous years (after England have been knocked out of course )

The best match for me so far has been Spain v Portugal.

I am so glad you are enjoying it Ffosse.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 10:09 PM

Ffosse try watching Tour de France when it starts on July 7th. Three weeks of the hardest sporting event in the world. I never miss a stage, although ITV 4 show an hour of highlights every night and I set the recorder just in case I don't get the chance to watch it in the day. The commentary is exceptional from Chris Boardman, Gary Imlac, David Millar and Ned Boulting.
The banter between Boardman and Boulting is particularly entertaining.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

16-06-2018, 10:13 PM

Thanks - I'll be sure to give the cycling a watch.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 08:25 AM

Watching one match would do my head in!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top