Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 07:09 PM

Re: Hoarders

Hi

I am dehoarding as we speak.

I have shredded 4 120 litre plastic bags of paper yesterday and today.

It is quite satisfying.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
My mum was a hoarder too, it may come in useful was her reply every time I tried to tidy things up a bit. It got to the point she wouldn't let me go into another room as she was scared I'd start chucking or tidying.
After she went into the nursing home It took me five weeks to clear her house, I had to go through every single thing. I lost count of the runs I made to the Skip Site, at least three every morning.
Cleaning up for these type of people is difficult because they fear you throwing their things out. Their sense of value of ‘stuff’ takes presedance over living in a clean tidy environment.
It becomes difficult to try and help them.

I can relate to your frustration Rox. It’s tough.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 08:59 PM

I do not hoard anything at all. When I moved here five years ago, I only brought the very minimal of everything with me, just enough for me to live alone. I even only have two dining chairs and two easy chairs for seating. I estimate that when the time comes, it will take my family half a day to clear this bungalow to return it to the landlord. Books once read are disposed of, I keep nothing “in case”.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 09:48 PM

Yup, guilty as charged of being a hoarder.

My computer magazines, though read, are kept, just in case an article might prove useful, but I am on the verge of cancelling the subscription as there are many still unopened, going back to end of last year. And with technology improving and outdating all the time, why am I keeping them? So yes, they will become victims of my decluttering.

I keep books and magazines. I am obsessed with stationery...writing pads, jotters, notebooks, pens, pencils, writing paper, envelopes. I have greeting card making kits never used. I will soon go through what can go, and might treat the kids on the estate to the paper and pencils/pens! Hah hah.

Electrical devices. Probably have some stashed away somewhere, though I did get rid of some. Oh, just realised, I have a mini tv in the cupboard that needs to go...the portable aerial doesn't work, so that will be consigned to the tip.

Behind the tv table I have a box containing a tv game control. Similar to a Wii but not quite, so that can go to the charity shop.

Part of me wants to do a car boot but I'd come home each time very depressed because I might have made a loss, or people wanted to pay pennies.

As I have been decluttering the boxes from the lounge cupboard while they are out, awaiting my hot water repair, I realised I bought several dinner plates not long ago. Now, I never have guests round for a meal, don't have the room anyway to seat more than two, so why did I buy them? I use the same old plate each and every time. So...charity shop.

A colleague once remarked that my flat must be a fire hazard. She was probably right. I just love newspapers, mags, books...anything that can be read, but realise that I must must must drastically reduce what I have, not only to have a tidier flat (and therefore mind), but to make life easier for when vacating the property, for whatever reason.

So yes, a self confessed hoarder. (Though nowhere near as bad as those featured on telly.)
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 11:21 PM

Oh Jazzi, that made me laugh because I have got things to read piled up everywhere as well.

My shed is also over flowing with things I don't throw away incase they come in handy too. I keep loads of clear plastic lids to put over seeds I've sown in pots.
I keep empty plastic trays, like mushroom trays to put a group of 3" flower pots in, and I keep clean cardboard boxes to store even more rubbish in.
I keep plastic bottle lids for measuring liquids, or for use as a pastry cutter for when I make my dog biscuits. Also, plastic bottles to make cloches out of are always handy.

I am always losing my trowel, so have to buy another one - then the first one always turns up.

I have got a case full of woodworking tools from when I did wood carving at nigh school. I always think I might start up again one day.

I've got an old wheel brace of my Dad's, and the handle keeps dropping off, but I still won't throw it away, and there's some very old tools of my Grandad's which are going rusty.

I've still got hoof picks and a brush from when I had my old horse (who was PTS in 1974), and hoof clippers from my sheep and goats - the last of who went about 18-20 years ago.

I've got dog collars from dogs I have loved and lost over the years, loads of puppy milk teeth - most normal people keep their children's milk teeth - and don't even start me on my plants! I love my plants and flowers. I take cuttings I don't need, sow seeds I don't need just to experiment. I love growing things, and am genuinly chuffed to bits when cuttings 'take' and looks healthy.

Gertie loves her toys. She has more got more toys than Pets at Home have, yet I still buy her another one when I see one I know she'd love.

Then there's my gardening magazines, my dog magazines, books I intend to read and never get round to . . . . . . the list goes on.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 11:07 AM

I think I'm a hoarder. Not the dirty never clean type, but I can't resist buying things I like. I have expensive taste too, Steiff, Hermann, Kaycee, Merrythought, Deans & Charlie bears & animals. I have a vast collection of these all over my house. I have model horses everywhere too & have collected Wade ceramics for years. So, yes you could say I'm a hoarder, but not like those people in the program who are possibly not quite all there & need help.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 11:20 AM

I am the family archivist - every time someone dies I inherit tons of paperwork and photographs. Never actually applied for the job - it just sort of happened - so the rest of them have neat tidy houses and I have an attic full of storage boxes!

I have 85 cookery books now - all of which are regularly used - not sure if that counts as a hoard.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I am the family archivist - every time someone dies I inherit tons of paperwork and photographs. Never actually applied for the job - it just sort of happened - so the rest of them have neat tidy houses and I have an attic full of storage boxes!

I have 85 cookery books now - all of which are regularly used - not sure if that counts as a hoard.
I have all the family photos going back to the dawn of photography. I somehow got lumbered with them, probably because I am the eldest in our family.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 02:13 PM

I worked in a hoarder's house once. Not easy I can tell you.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I have all the family photos going back to the dawn of photography. I somehow got lumbered with them, probably because I am the eldest in our family.
I made up an album for my children of relevant photos and dates, the rest I took to the tip. I also did a family history going back to the 1700’s. As we have no other family, I think I covered anything they would need to know. They wont inherit any clutter from me.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top